cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userHCZJOxgXr9
Cosmic Ray

Front Facing Camera Zoomed, Blurry in Default App and Third Party Apps after March/April Update

After updating to the March/April update the front facing camera has been downgraded and unusable. What I've noticed: 

1. Huge loss in sharpness - auto focus won't focus if you get close to your face. You can test this by holding the phone close to your eye / brow region. Before the update pictures would be sharp and detailed - the camera would focus and now it wont. 

2. The selfie mode is default which causes other third party camera apps like Snapchat, Instagram etc. to have zoomed in pictures. The quality on these 3rd party apps are now worse than they were before. 

3. Pictures save different from view-finder/preview on selfie mode. They save off-center and cropped.

For people who are saying it's Snapchat and Instagram, it's NOT. Those apps are now using the default camera settings and that's why it's zoomed in. If you open your default camera, it will be selfie mode be default - unless you change it to group mode. 

Samsung needs to fix this issue, I know it's not device specific because I've tested it with like 4 S9s and also have seen all over the internet people are experiencing the same issue. Samsung should either revert the camera app to what it was before OR have the zoomed out (group selfie) be the default and also fix the auto focus issue when the camera is close to your the subject. 

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue (which I'm sure a lot are) I would appreciate if you reply to this thread so we can get Samsung's attention and get this fixed with the next update. 

31 REPLIES 31
userRRqnJo5LkE
Astronaut

I have the same issue.

I have the same issue.

user56USGHqsPI
Constellation

Re: Front Facing Camera Zoomed, Blurry in Default App and Third Party Apps after March/April Update

I am having the same issue. I find it annoying that this has been happening for MONTHS and there has been no fix and it has barely been addressed. This happens in my DEFAULT camera. I do not use snapchat.

I have been a Samsung customer for 15 years and it is completely ridiculous that we are having this issue and it has not been fixed yet. I am seeing posts dating back to February about this issue. It is only getting worse. Samsung will be losing customers soon. 

userHCZJOxgXr9
Cosmic Ray

Re: Front Facing Camera Zoomed, Blurry in Default App and Third Party Apps after March/April Update

Same here. I'm not sure how they can allow something like this to happen. This issue is widespread with the S9, Note9, and S10. BUT our situation is a little worse because the camera will no longer focus when the object is up close (when it did before).

Yes the issue is with the default camera which also causes it to effect 3rd party apps too. It's especially bad when video calling because the camera is awkwardly zoomed too close on your face. 

I made this thread so we can somehow get Samsung's attention. I was told the best way would be to go on the Samsung Member's app and then press that blue button on the bottom right corner and select feedback and tell them about the issue. I guess the more reports they get the more likely they would look into it. 

ghoshsumitit
Constellation

I have a S9+ and am having the same issue! On every video call people have been complaining about the camera focus and their never ending remarks of you could have bought a cheaper phone which could do the basics right instead of a samsung product. It blurs and focuses at it's own will which becomes really irritating!

PeachyPanda
Constellation

@ghoshsumitit

What do you mean to go to the Samsung Member's app"? Which app is this? I need to do this!

userc3vuRIS8R7
Astronaut

I am having the same issue it was such a disappointment I'm going to return my s10 and go back to apple iv never had an issue with having a new phone and wanted to go to Samsung because of the camera is apparently better I have to say my iPhone 6 had a better front facing  camera! 

@user56USGHqsPI wrote:

I am having the same issue. I find it annoying that this has been happening for MONTHS and there has been no fix and it has barely been addressed. This happens in my DEFAULT camera. I do not use snapchat.

I have been a Samsung customer for 15 years and it is completely ridiculous that we are having this issue and it has not been fixed yet. I am seeing posts dating back to February about this issue. It is only getting worse. Samsung will be losing customers soon. 

userZvTKLqp32j
Constellation

My s9+ is having the same exact issue

My s9+ is having the same exact issue

userHCZJOxgXr9
Cosmic Ray

Re: My s9+ is having the same exact issue

Does yours not focus when it's close to your face too? 

usersSLCG5yYrQ
Astronaut

Same here, it's a S9 and S9+ issue, I have a S8 and all good and my wife's S9 has this issue, any third party app to replace the default camera App while Samsung fixes this in about 6 months or a year how they like to do things?

Thanks