cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

GPS not available after Android 10 update

Just updated the newest software update yesterday on my Samsung S9 phone.  Now my GPS is non-existent, making Google Maps and Waze totally unusable.   Location is on as it always has been.  Phone restarted with no changes.   We have two S9's and both have been corrupted via the Android 10 software.   Any fixes available?  We need to know where we're going!!!   Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: GPS not available after Android 10 update

Im having the same issue.   I've attempted to reinstall maps and have confirmed Maps has Location permissions.

Please let me know if you find the fix for this.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same problem here.  My unlocked S9+ on US Cellular received the Android 10 / One UI 2.0 update on 07 FEB 2020.  Immediately noticed that GPS services are non-functional.

After doing some research and collaborating with other users complaining about the same problem on Reddit, we discovered that if you toggle MOBILE DATA off, then GPS works flawlessly.  The very minute that MOBILE DATA is re-enabled, GPS immediately fails again.

This is gross negligence of Samsung's development and testing teams.  Turning off mobile data in order to navigate is worthless, because you need mobile data to access other features of navigation.

Samsung should immediately (and out of cycle) issue a fix to resolve this problem!  We should not be required to wait one or two update cycles for this to be resolved.

Highlighted
Constellation

I am so glad I stumbled across this post.  This is totally unacceptable.  When I first downloaded and installed the update and figured out my GPS was having issues I tried everything.  I called Samsung and they even tried to look at things on my phone remotely and their comment was that it was Google / Android's issue not theirs.

I am ready to take this new some new affiliate and let them blast them for this.  Until someone decides to admit the messed up and fixes this ASAP.  I mean all the time we used to hear about Iphone problems on the news, why not lol.

I have U.S. Cellular too and thought I would even call and I went in store and they said this is the first they have heard of this.  I went to a repair shop for phones and they gentleman went to go get his S10 and he didn't realize the problem was on his phone as well until he went to go grab his phone to his if my update in setting for location looked the same. 

I do Doordash and Postmates and rely heavily on this as well.  Without it is hard to do and for the moment I am borrowing someones Garmin so I can continue to do so. Speaking to others as well in my Doordash group they are having the same problems, new model phones and not Galaxy phones as well.  They say it is interferring with other apps they use as well too that require GPS.

I left a Google review for maps and they gave me a link to some forum which was outdated for older models.  I was able to email back and of course no answer.  Everyone is sitting closed mouth on this one. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Same for me. I had a warning and tried to disable automatic updates, but somehow it auto updated 😡 at 3am. Now I can't use any location based apps. It works for one second then poofs me four streets over or freezes me in one location. Completely unacceptable! It is reasonably foreseeable that people use their phone's GPS to navigate in google maps etc. This is a gross negligence indeed. An accident is likely to happen and people will be injured because of this mistake

Highlighted
Asteroid

Spoke with a Samsung customer service guy today (2/25/2020) named Julina. He said it's a Google and Carrier issues, which seems to make sense since a lot of what I'm seeing is related to US Cellular's recent 2/7/2020 rollout of the most recent update on android devices. 

Anyway, Julian said I could take my phone into an authorized Samsung repair center and have them do a "software refresh"  and they could also check to see if there are other issues on my phone. I have not checked on the cost of this, but my feeling is that it's not cheap. 

All that being said, when I called US Cellular this past weekend, they said it's a Samsung software issue. When I mentioned that to Julian, he said, Samsung only warranties the hardware not the software. The Software is The Carrier & Google's responsibility.

Any way, during my first conversation with US Cellular, the guy found that my phone was inadvertently being throttled back, and he removed the throttling, and had me wait a few minuets and restart my phone. Again no Go.

Then my next call back to US Cellular, this time with Tech support (strange as this sounds, when I called back I got the same guy) she had me go to Settings>Apps>Maps>Storage>Clear Cache & do the same for WAZE (which I had already done) and this did not work. And, then she had me go into each App; Maps & Waze and "Reset App Preferences", reboot the phone, and again no go. 

Sooooooooo. Been without GPS navigation since early February 2020. Another strange thing of note is location knows where I am and where I have been. For example, I was an 1-hour 1/2 away from home and the phone knew what cities I was in, where I stopped to eat, where I stopped to get gas, etc, but it would not provide Navigation using Maps or Waze.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have exactly the same issue, and on USCC.  Samsung so far has not been able to resolve it.   I have found that if I open GPS Status, then toggle the "Location" off and back on, then it gets a location and continues working, but none of the other apps will do this.  Turn mobile data off and I get a GPS signal as well.   I have reset all network settings as Samsung directed.   I have not reset to factory defaults as I do not have time to spend redoing my phone from their update.  This is definitely a problem as I rely on the GPS in my phone as a pilot. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Same here. I, too have US Cellular. An unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9, and GPS will not work. The update that broke my GPS was on 2/7/2020. Received another on 2/23/20, and still no help. Location works. I took an hour and a half trip and location was spot on, but neither Waze nor Maps would provide that wonderful direction I so have come to rely on when I'm in an area I'm not familiar with. I called US Cellular on 2/23/2020, twice. First time they noted that my phone was inadvertently throttled bac . I'm like, what! I've got unlimited data and phone. The guy fixed it and had me restart my phone, which didn't work. Called back. And the US Cellular's tech had me go in and delete Data from Maps and Waze, and that did not work. UGH! Side note: the guy at Samsung said Samsungknows about the issue,and gave me two options: 1) I can send my phone in to be repaired (this could be up to an 8-day turn around). Or 2) I can wait a month for Samsung to send out an update to fix it. Again, UGH...I need my phone.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Is your GPS working now, if so how was it fixed?

Highlighted
Asteroid

I received the same updates and it is not fixed yet, but i have found a work-around until Samsung fixes it.  Download and install "GPSTest".   Once installed, turn off mobile data, open GPSTest and it will get a GPS signal with coordinates.  Turn mobile data back on, then hit the home button and open whatever app you want.  Basicaly GPSTest keeps the GPS alive and it will allow other apps to function as well.  I have to do this almost every time I need to use a GPS app.  It works, but is a pain...