cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userMRQF7CvrPs
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S9+ battery deterioration after Pie Update

Last night I cleared the cache (restarted in service mode), then went thru EVERY app, disabling some I don't think are needed, etc. Pleased to say battery appears to be back to great again. Used only around 5% per hour of screen on browsing, then used only 1% overnight with screen off. Now I get to see how usable it is during the day. Fingers crossed. 

mlleelise2
Cosmic Ray

Wow, that is promising. A few questions for you:  1) How do you restart it in 'service' mode? I'd like to give this a try.  2) Is it safe to disable google, and, especially, the 'Samsung Experience' which, for me at least, uses over 50% of the battery life?  It is disheartening that it seems to be impossible to see the apps that running in the background.  I have had to go into the Apps folder and force stop several apps.  Still at night my battery drops 25% with everything (that I know of) off.

3) Is there an easy way to see what is running in the background?

Thanks again for your input.  Let us know how your day went with it.  

Comet

I did another Factory data reset yesterday. Set Everything up just as I always do. No Auto restore or manual restore. One by one. 

Charged to 100% and let it sleep for eight hours and seventeen minutes. Battery level was at 84%. No third party apps installed. Same two apps listed. Samsung push shows active for 4hrs and Google services shows 4hrs running in the background. They might not be using a lot of Battery but they might be keeping the phone awake I don't really know. 

I wiped the system cache partition in the recovery console this morning I have done this before but it doesn't resolve the issue on my phone. Power off the phone. Press and hold the volume up key the Bixby key and the power key at the same time. Wait for the android logo to popup and release the keys. You should be in the recovery console now. Use the volume down key to move down the menu to the entry wipe system cache partition. Once that is highlighted press the power key then press the volume down key again to select yes. Press the power key and it will wipe the system cache partition and return you to a highlighted item labeled restart the system. Press the power key and it will boot up. 

The other things you mentioned Samsung experience never uses that much Battery on my galaxy S9 it's more like 8 or 9 % on the day. It varies. Since running with no third party apps doesn't improve the Battery usage I installed my usual apps. Nova launcher prime, kLWP, KWGT, Power Amp, Color note, Swiftkey, and a few others. Nova Launcher is set as the default home and KLWP runs as an overlay on top of that. With these apps running I have always been able to put the phone to sleep for 10 to 11 hrs and wake it up at 95% Battery level. Be careful in the recovery console make sure your on the wipe cache partition. 

mlleelise2
Cosmic Ray

Thanks for that explanation of how to wipe the system cache partition.  My  battery life drain is really ticking me off.  I sure hope someone is listening to all our complaints.

Samsung Care Ambassador

@mlleelise2 wrote:

I sure hope someone is listening to all our complaints.

Concerns and complaints about the one UI and minor bugs are being listened to. Currently the whole community board is making a big change that you will see during the release of the new Galaxy S10 on March 8th. There will definitely be a section where we can condense all the issues into one thread so research and development can work on those issues

userYPpRyTwECe
Astronaut

@SJohnson wrote:

@mlleelise2 wrote:

I sure hope someone is listening to all our complaints.

Concerns and complaints about the one UI and minor bugs are being listened to. Currently the whole community board is making a big change that you will see during the release of the new Galaxy S10 on March 8th. There will definitely be a section where we can condense all the issues into one thread so research and development can work on those issues

So you are messing up my phone with an unwanted update for the benefit of some new phone?  Are you then expecting me to buy this new phone?  Unbelievable. 

Highlighted
Comet

Yes I hope they are looking into this too. I'm glad you posted about this. I had the Google App Disabled, turned off background data usage, removed its permissions, put it to sleep but didn't see any substantial battery improvement. I did another factory data reset yesterday. That makes 3 for me  This time around I set up just as normally would and only have two apps added to the sleep catigory. T-mobile app for causing an unrelated issue and the Google app because I don't use the assistant. I've paused all the data collection services. I'm going to leave everything the way it is and hope they can find what's causing this.

See you later, 

CLF 

userMRQF7CvrPs
Asteroid

So, days after clearing the cache partition, going thru ALL apps & disabling some & setting battery saving options on all, my S9+ is back to great battery life again. But still up & quits with NO notification that battery is getting low, if I'm listening to TV shows with phone in my pocket. So I need to find a way of sounding a notification when battery level becomes critical. Other than that, great phone. Just bought a USB hub to see what its like to use the S9+ as a laptop, just looking at 4K monitors now... 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Go to settings>apps> tap on the three dots in the top right corner> show system apps> go to system UI and verify notifications are turned on.

user6EaF5jlwGp
Constellation

was seriously happy with s9+ exynos oreo and it keep getting better with each update and keep recommending to ppl s9+ exynos for friends, families and even forum.. 

but after pie, makes me wonder if samsung purposely random select to deteriorate the battery.. 

i highly doubt samsung will release any fix for it since they are not acknowledging the problem