cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S9 shutting down after lock/screen shut off... fingerprint problems? what gives?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userxddkOMLQAY Have you tried any of the mentioned troubleshooting steps?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

Re: Galaxy S9 shutting down after lock/screen shut off... fingerprint problems? what gives?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone has this finger print issue as well. I see a lot of posts on here but I'm not able to find a patch on here. Please send me a link or something so I can fix my Note 9. I love this phone but need this issue resolved!

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My Galaxy S9 started shutting down when using fingerprint reader about 2 weeks ago - 10/3/2020.  This started occurring after installing the latest security/software update from T-Mobile.  Can't believe Samsung and T-Mobile can't figure out how to fix this glitch!  Of course, as a workaround, I've turned the fingerprint reader off.  This is not the solution as other have said, it's merely circumventing the issue that has no resolution so far!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The only way I could get rid of the problem is disabling any screen lock or substituting the PIN by the pattern. Samsung, please fix this as high priority. Because phones rebooting every 2 min are useless and phones without proper screen lock are a danger.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone just started doing the EXACT same thing this morning. Unfortunately, I didn't find this blog until AFTER I did a hard reset on my phone and lost everything only to see that the problem wasn't fixed. Samsung needs to get it together. These phones are NOT cheap and we expect a better product. Unfortunately  my phone is out of warranty because the back is cracked. I don't want to have to pay a $225 deductible to get a replacement phone when this is a obviously an ongoing problem. Can we please have a fix?!?!? I'd like to use my fingerprint scanner again! 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah there is definitely some bug associated with the finger print scanner.  I had the same problem as above where the phone turned off once it locked (I did not have this problem until just recently).  I went through all of the online help (safemode, wiping the cache, etc. and nothing worked).  I eventually had to do the factory reset and that fixed everything initially.  Once I added back the fingerprint scanner option the problem came back.  I guess I will just use the PIN feature until Samsung fixes this bug or they offer a decent trade in for an S10+.  

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had the same issue a month ago and (prior to reading this thread) went through all the steps and still no fix. The only way I was able to prevent it was by using that ugly multicolor screensaver. That worked for about a month.

This weekend I needed to use the power saver option to keep my battery life while traveling. When I switched back to optimized, the lock screen reboot/power down came back.

this must have triggered something in the security and battery saving settings. Because turning off the fingerprint scanner definitely worked but I also noticed a lot of my settings for both security and battery did not return after the battery save switch.

definitely frustrating. And nobody wants to go through the trouble of constantly getting new phones. Samsung needs to figure this out fast. This phone wasn't cheap and they had enough time to fix the initial bugs

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
My phone started doing this randomly today. Glad I found this, I turned off fingerprint scan and it isn't happening anymore. Except for when I opened my bank app, which uses fingerprint to sign in. So I'm going to have to turn it off on that too.
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This just started happening to me a couple days ago, after having my S9 in a damp swimsuit pocket.  I've taken this phone in pool many times over the past year, so it is odd if that was the culprit or just coincidence.  Like the other users here, I first tried safemode, clearing cache, and factory reset. 

Thanks to Terri, disabling the fingerprint unlock option is a workaround to the phone powering off when locked.  However, I have several apps (Venmo) than I cannot use now since when they first prompt for my fingerprint, the phone shuts off again.  I'm thinking I will have to reinstall these apps now.

Dear Samsung, is this a hardware or software issue?  Can you replace the fingerprint sensor for us or release a patch to fix this problem? 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@qballistic can I please have your full model number, baseband version, and service provider?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.