cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userOZf0qK7Z9X
Constellation

Galaxy S9 shutting down after lock/screen shut off... fingerprint problems? what gives?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

ill start this off with a solution, if your galaxy S9 has started to randomly shut off, shut off when you lock the phone, or shuts down when the screen times out and goes dark. you need to turn off your finger print sign in. this should fix the issue. (I did not find this solution, we can all thank Terri!)

how many people experiencing this issue are using T-Mobile? i updated the phone, and after a theme change, i actually enjoyed the oneUI.... but now, my phone shuts off every time it goes dark. so its either leave the screen on and risk burn in or turn my phone on and off every time i want to use it. obviously this is a bug in the update, but why wouldnt it happen right away? why is it only now....a week or so later that this issue is just popping up randomly, half way through my day?

samsung.....we need a patch fast. this is a security issue. and im sure people will have burn in from leaving their phones on, since they understandably cant turn it on and off 20 times a day like ive done. (literally) HELP US OUT HERE!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S9 shutting down after lock/screen shut off... fingerprint problems? what gives?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, if the device still shuts down while in safe mode and a full factory reset hasn't resolved it I would recommend a service repair on the device. Would you mind sending us a private message here with your full model code and IMEI number so that we can look into what options you have?

32 REPLIES 32
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S9 shutting down after lock/screen shut off... fingerprint problems? what gives?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userOZf0qK7Z9X Does this happen in safe mode?

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @userOZf0qK7Z9X, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing such a troublesome bug. As @SamsungQue said, have you tried placing your device in safe mode? (a guide can be found here.) Also, I'd reccomend you try wiping the devices cache partition. (a guide can be found here.)

I hope that helps and I hope you have a great rest of your day!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
userOZf0qK7Z9X
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've wiped the cache,  factory reset everything... still does it in safe mode.  Seems to be the finger print sensor bug. Giant pain.

useryn1ZHNWKAd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just got a S9, and am having the same issue. Seems to be if the fingerprint scanner is enabled, the phones shuts off when the screen locks. I have tried clearing the cache, and have done a factory reset 3 times tonight. Really irritaded by this actually!!!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I have your full model code, baseband version, and carrier information?

useryn1ZHNWKAd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SM-G960U1

G960U1UEU3CSA8

Metro by T-Mobile

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, give this a try.

Go to Settings > Apps > Show system Apps (click on the 3 vertical dots upper right of screen) >
 Intelligent Scan > Storage > Clear Data and Clear Cache. 
 Restart Phone

useryn1ZHNWKAd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nope, still does it

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, if the device still shuts down while in safe mode and a full factory reset hasn't resolved it I would recommend a service repair on the device. Would you mind sending us a private message here with your full model code and IMEI number so that we can look into what options you have?