cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userKfAXjy8iZ3
Constellation

Galaxy Store unnecessary permissions

Galaxy Store now requires access to my contacts and phone calls for no apparent reason. I tried turning these permissions off in Settings and denying access to them when starting the app, but the app demands I give it access to both permissions in order to use it. I feel like this is a violation of my privacy and Samsung should at least tell us why the Galaxy Store requires these permissions, or even better, remove the need for those permissions from the app in a future update. Until then I won't be using the Galaxy Store.

7 REPLIES 7
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy Store unnecessary permissions

Have you updated your device recently?

andyvan
Constellation

What kind of ridiculous response is this? You cannot open or update any app via the Galaxy Store - even with the latest updates. You know that.

KingBeefVI
Cosmic Ray

After recently setting up a new device and signing into a...

After recently setting up a new device and signing into all my Samsung apps and services, I am pretty sure tbe contacts permission is for signing you into your Samsung Account automatically and Phone is for the payment services but I could be completely wrong on this.

userIeleqyYcdB
Cosmic Ray

Re: After recently setting up a new device and signing into a...

@KingBeefVI wrote:

After recently setting up a new device and signing into all my Samsung apps and services, I am pretty sure tbe contacts permission is for signing you into your Samsung Account automatically and Phone is for the payment services but I could be completely wrong on this.

How much sense does that even make? It needs access to my contacts so it can sign me into all my Samsung apps! I don't know about you but I'm not in my contacts. You'd think that would be device info. Not to mention it didn't need that access before and there's no reason to need it now. Also it asks for permission to make and manage phone calls. Hmm🤔..... nah I don't think that's for payment services. I agree with kfax this is an invasion of privacy and completely unnecessary. I won't be using it anymore either. And another thing how do I disable or remove Samsung location SDK? This is just another app that needs unnecessary permissions  and it hides the fact that it needs them. Check it out. Go to settings > app manager> 3 dot on top right> show system apps> Samsung location SDK> permissions. Now it says no special permissions required. 3 dots top right> all permissions. 🤔😳 what is all that? Can take pictures whenever turn on camera whenever. No telling what other apps are doing the same thing. This is definitely a  violation of privacy no question about it.

userAh8CDoXQxy
Constellation

Hay Samsung I have 5 current samsung phones,  you dont need permission for my contacts I paid for the phones its not a lease..  there is no shareing turned on at all on my phone.   You and verizon are forcing updates I dont want, I was more than happy, for the first time ever, with oreo on my note 9, it just worked.  now I have to relearn a new system for 6 months till you change it all again.

I am actually looking at apple again because of the privacey issues only.  Thats 5 new $1000 dollar phones, yes I can write a check,  and I wont be switching back.  If this permission issue is not reversed within the next update I will be switching,  I am currently not allowing acess and cant update any apps..   My patence with you and google is wearing very thin.  you have lost all of the lawsuits in the EU over privacey and blanket EULAs,  I dont use any google products or services, and all are turned off on my phone, all of my friends have done the same, enough is enough..   

Solution=  samsung start your own operating system with real security I will buy it and any new hardware needed.  

PS , linux mint user dont like the view inside the orchard or the windows prison..

usero1bgU4vl6L
Asteroid

I am very unhappy about this situation.  I am being denied software updates in the Galaxy Store because I refuse to allow permission to Contacts.

userbYrkdVsMvZ
Astronaut

Bye Bye Samsung. Hello Apple.