JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy s9 stuck in boot and update loop

(Topic created: 02-20-2019 03:13 PM)
useroWALmYvTQz
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My galaxy s9 tried to install the latest update yesterday morning and has been stuck in a loop since. At first, the phone would only update to 35% and then be stuck on that screen. I tried the volume down+power trick to stop the update and that is what started the reboot loop. The screen will light up with the Samsung powered by android logo and then it will turn back off and then repeat. I tried stopping that by pushing the volume up+bixby+power button. That caused it to try and update again. It will install up to 24%-28% and then stop and go back to the boot screen. It will repeat the attempted update 2-3 times before going back to the boot loop. I've tried letting the battery die. That didn't work.  I tried charging it and nothing. Only one time when it tried updating did it pop up with an error screen. The phone has not been physically damaged. I am out of ideas. 

MrZell
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey guys, i wanted to provide the step by step to use your Bixby key to fix the boot loop.

Here are the step by step process.

1. Boot into Android Recovery.

Press and hold the the BixbyVolume Up, and Power keys simultaneously. Release them when a blue screen displays and says Install system updates. Wait until the Android Recovery menu is displayed on the screen.

2. Select Wipe data/factory reset.

Press the Volume Up or Down key to move the cursor. Highlight Wipe data/factory reset, and then press the Power key to select it. Highlight Yes then press the Power key to select again.

3. Select Reboot system now.

Press the Volume Up or Down key to highlight Reboot system now, and then press the Power key to select it.

Please reach back out to us and let us know if this resolves your concerns!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userxvuNAueLC3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

That's the whole problem, it can't get to the Android Recovery menu because the phone just restarts when its gets to 24-28%.  So this solution does not work.  I'm having the exact same issue.

flograsso
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, do you have a solution for these problem?

I am in the same situation after a system update.

user12oehXzIo0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I ended up getting a warranty replacement phone. Luckily most of my stuff was backed up.  They got it to me really fast, though. 

Solution
MrZell
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userk2pYy7WH6I@userxvuNAueLC3, Thank you for reaching out to us to address your concerns. If the troubleshooting posted here has been tried with no success, then repairs are recommended. Can you send us a private message here with the below information: http://bit.ly/2GH8URL

Model Code:
15 Digit Imei Number:

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user8Q3yKEWSzf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have this exact same issue...all the same symptoms and can't even get to the recovery screen. Just like the other posters...is there a solution yet?
0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for reaching out to us. Can you send me a private message with your full model number and IMEI?

0 Likes
user12oehXzIo0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have this same problem. Please help!
userGcCTjlCti9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello, My phone started updating last night (2/4/20200 and now it is stuck in a boot loop.  I Tried the troubleshooting above with no success, is there anything that can be done to get it out of the loop?  

0 Likes
user1eO8f6IwY3
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I recently received a replacement S9 after mine was damaged. I put the case from my old S8 on it until I could get a new S9 case. 

The phone ran an update, and got stuck in this same loop. After reading this thread, and seeing the key combination to get into update mode, it struck me: the buttons on the S8 and S9 are just a little off from one another. I knew this already because I couldn’t increase the volume via the buttons. I realized that the case might be putting pressure on the keys in that key combination. Removed the case, and when the phone restarted again, it was out of the loop.

So, if you’ve got a case on your phone, try removing it, and see if that helps.

0 Likes