cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Gmail No Longer Gives Notifications Won't Sync After Feb 2020 Update

Good Evening. More Feb 2020 update problems for the S9. I have been fussing with this for a couple of weeks, the update just came down 2 weeks ago on Rogers. I use Gmail and had no porblems until this update. Now, even though I have notifications turned on in my Google account and in Android the phone will not give notifications when new mail comes in, the phone will not sync the Gmail account and autonatialy & I can no longer set it (or Samsung email) as the default app even after uninstalling samsung email app. It will also not notify my Galaxy Watch 42mm. Any suggestions/sollutions would be welcomed. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Gmail No Longer Gives Notifications Won't Sync After Feb 2020 Update

Hello, sorry to hear you are having issues with getting notifications. It may be that the apps need to be updated. This link shows how to do that: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00080581/

I hope that helps.

Highlighted
Constellation

Thank you for your suggestion.  My Gmail app is up-to-date. I did not have any difficulties prior to the Samsung Feb 2020 update. Also, the smart lock at home now only works intermittantly.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi, 

I'm sorry you are having issues with your gmail. You may have already done this but you can try to delete the  account and reinstall. Also are you using the email app or gmail app?. Try signing into both in Settings>Accounts. In each application there is a settings tab make sure notifications are turned on. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks for your reply Robert. I was using both but now am using Gmail only. It is up-to-date. In an effort to get the phone to notify me when mail arrives I uninstalled the samsung Email app but still do not get notifications from Gmail. The notifications are turned on in Gmail and within my general google settings.

For some reason the gmail app will not let me set it as the default, it says "none set as default".

What do you think about uninstalling the Gmail app, restarting the S9 and then downloading the app again from the Play Store???

Product Expert

Hey, 

I think that would absolutely be a good course of action. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Hi, I have an A71 with the same issue.

I checked gmail notification settings, all is ok. I tried Settings > Device Care > Battery > Power Mode > Optimised

On another forum for the S phones it was receommended to try settings > (search) Special Access > Optimise Battery Usage and turning off Gmail. 

None of these have worked so far, it appears that uninstalling gmail is not possible on the A71 and the app is up to date. Is there anything else to try?