cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MalakBT
Asteroid

Google Play apps pause updating when screen is off

Ever since the android 9 release, when I press update apps at Google Play, if I turn OFF the screen only 2-3 apps are updated and the rest of the apps are pending. When I turn the screen ON, they continue to update. Also if I press update all apps and keep the screen ON, for example if I do some work in background like watching videos or playing games etc. everything updates like normal, but if I turn OFF the screen the app updates are paused. I heard that with android 9 and OneUI samsung made some adjustments for saving battery life by adding to sleep some of the background processes, but to put google play to sleep is ridiculous. I usually press update when I have 10-15 apps and if I leave the phone on the desk only 2-3 apps will be updated, the rest will be left on pending. I also turned off Auto Opimization in Device Care which closes background apps when screen is off, but still it doesn't work.

12 REPLIES 12
Comet

Maybe the Play Store has been added to Sleeping apps on y...

Maybe the Play Store has been added to Sleeping apps on your phone due to which the issue might be occurring. To remove it open Device care app tap on Battery, on top right you'll see three dot tap on it and select settings, in there tap on Sleeping apps, if the play store is there, in top right you'll see a dust bin icon tap on it, then select Play store and then tap on remove. See if this fixes it. Also usually if phone is in power saving mode or in mobile data connection app may not update automatically.

NBI

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

MalakBT
Asteroid

Re: Maybe the Play Store has been added to Sleeping apps on y...

Hi NBI, thanks for the reply. I checked in Device care > Battery > Sleeping Apps, but I only have few apps like speedtest and some old games that i don't use. Google Play is not on the list. Also, I used to update the apps using celular data in the past, but in the last two months I am only using wifi for updates so that the auto update function can work. However, even with wifi internet, updates go to "pending" when screen is off.

I forgot to mention that Galaxy Store apps updates work properly, only Google Play updates are messed up.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@MalakBT Have you also verified that Play Store and Play Services are not in the Battery Optimized list of apps? Also, make sure the Play Services is up to date.

MalakBT
Asteroid

I checked in Battery Optimized, Google Play Store was checked, Google Play Services was unchecked. I unchecked Google Play Store and Play services was up to date. I started the update again and let the phone with screen OFF for 20 minutes and this time 7 out of 12 apps were updated. I have high speed internet with very stable signal and the apps had 20-30MB updates each, so in my case I think they would've been all updated in about 5-10 minutes max.

userJoqOIQbfHQ
Astronaut

Re: Google Play apps pause updating when screen is off

I have the same problem...

NUTTyS6uSER
Astronaut

Same here for my s6 apps don't auto update

Same here for my s6 apps don't auto update

Comet

In that case maybe do this and see if it helps: •Go to y...

In that case maybe do this and see if it helps:

•Go to your phone’s Settings

Tap on “Apps"

Find and select “Google Play Services"

On top right you'll see three dots tap on it and select Uninstall Updates. Also Do same for Google play Store. After a while they should automatically update. Maybe this fixes the issues.

NBI

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

MalakBT
Asteroid

Re: In that case maybe do this and see if it helps: •Go to y...

Hi, i tried this. Uninstalled the updates and then it automatically updated Play Store and Play Services. Now I have 4 apps on the update list and I am waiting for few more for a bigger update list to test it. Hopefully tomorrow I will run it. I will write with the result as soon as I do it.

MalakBT
Asteroid

Re: In that case maybe do this and see if it helps: •Go to y...

Today I started the updates and still the same problem occurs, 5 apps out of 15 got updated, the rest start as soon as you turn on the screen.