cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userl55yTiLieQ
Asteroid

Horrible battery life - replaced battery, factory reset, and still bad. What gives?

Hi -
Bought a S9+ back in August 2018.  Was overjoyed with the battery life - I could go almost two days without charging it.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and it's been getting exponentially worse. 

As I type this, at 12:00PM, my battery is at 52%, and I only started using it a few hours ago.

I go to the 'battery usage' screen.  4 hr and 17 min ago I took it off charge.  Android System 12%.  Screen has been on 1 hr 16 min (8%), WhatsApp for 12 min (6%), Voice calls 1 hr 7 min (5%), Instagram 12 min (2%), and the rest of the items are <2%.

I am not using the phone any more than I did back when I got it.  I've done several factory resets, and a few weeks ago even took the phone to get the S9+ battery replaced.

I am OCD about factory resets, and always ensure I have the exact same applications running (with the icons in the same place, etc).  Not to mention if it were an application draining the battery you would think I would see it in the android battery usage menu.

While typing this message on my computer, with my phone sitting in front of me with the screen on (adaptive brightness it enabled, and brightness is currently ~1/3), and the battery dropped 52% to 50%.  Just with the screen on for 5 minutes.

I am not even a true 'power user' of the phone, definitely not more than most teenagers out there are.  I occasionally look at Instagram, periodically use the browser, but most of the time it's WhatsApp, text messages, and phone calls.

Most frustrating is that I can't even figure out WHY it's draining this quickly.  I can't blame it on an old battery, as I got the new one 6 weeks ago, and didn't notice any difference.

Open to ideas.  I've gone through the 'background apps', 'dynamic wallpapers', etc.  Nothing gives.

10 REPLIES 10
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Horrible battery life - replaced battery, factory reset, and still bad. What gives?

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out. I can understand the frustrations this may have caused you. Since the battery drainage still persists in safe mode and after performing a factory reset. I recommend visiting a UBreakIFix repair center for a technician to take a better look at the symptoms you are experiencing.

Neutron Star

Re: Horrible battery life - replaced battery, factory reset, and still bad. What gives?

@userl55yTiLieQ wrote:

Hi -
Bought a S9+ back in August 2018.  Was overjoyed with the battery life - I could go almost two days without charging it.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and it's been getting exponentially worse. 

As I type this, at 12:00PM, my battery is at 52%, and I only started using it a few hours ago.

I go to the 'battery usage' screen.  4 hr and 17 min ago I took it off charge.  Android System 12%.  Screen has been on 1 hr 16 min (8%), WhatsApp for 12 min (6%), Voice calls 1 hr 7 min (5%), Instagram 12 min (2%), and the rest of the items are <2%.

I am not using the phone any more than I did back when I got it.  I've done several factory resets, and a few weeks ago even took the phone to get the S9+ battery replaced.

I am OCD about factory resets, and always ensure I have the exact same applications running (with the icons in the same place, etc).  Not to mention if it were an application draining the battery you would think I would see it in the android battery usage menu.

While typing this message on my computer, with my phone sitting in front of me with the screen on (adaptive brightness it enabled, and brightness is currently ~1/3), and the battery dropped 52% to 50%.  Just with the screen on for 5 minutes.

I am not even a true 'power user' of the phone, definitely not more than most teenagers out there are.  I occasionally look at Instagram, periodically use the browser, but most of the time it's WhatsApp, text messages, and phone calls.

Most frustrating is that I can't even figure out WHY it's draining this quickly.  I can't blame it on an old battery, as I got the new one 6 weeks ago, and didn't notice any difference.

Open to ideas.  I've gone through the 'background apps', 'dynamic wallpapers', etc.  Nothing gives.

Any software update available for your phone?

App updates installed from both Play Store and Galaxy Store?

Did you change phone operators some months ago?

How is the signal strength at the place where you stay longer?

When you reset the device, did you restore from backup?

userl55yTiLieQ
Asteroid

Thanks for the responses.

I hesitate to visit a tech center, as if there is any troubleshooting that can be done from a software standpoint, I prefer to do it myself.

As for the questions:

Software updates -

App updates - I have only one app from the galaxy store, and that's visual voicemail.  ALL others are updated from Play store

Phone operators have not changed in 15 years

Signal strength both where I work, and where I stay is very, very good.  Also my home and my work locations have not changed in over a year.

When I reset the device, I never restore APPS from the backup, but i manually restore backups for apps after install - never settings, only data  (example: i'll back up my SMS messages, and restore them into the SMS app.  back up whatsapp messages and content and restore it, etc)

Neutron Star

I see. 

1) Try removing google app(if you have it) for a day or two - this one could be interesting too

2) Also when possible, turn on wifi, but disable mobile data

3) You probably already done this...if not try below

Wipe cache:
Make sure you turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about some seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
Press the Volume down key several times in order to highlight “Wipe cache partition.”
Press the Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight “Yes” and press the Power key to select.
After the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

userl55yTiLieQ
Asteroid

Thank you for the response -

I'm not sure how to remove the Google app - i think it's a built-in app.

I can try the wifi with mobile data disabled tomorrow for the whole day to see.

Wiping the cache I have tried a few times.  Have also probably done a factory reset 4 or 5 times over the last year.

Neutron Star

@userl55yTiLieQ wrote:

Thank you for the response -

I'm not sure how to remove the Google app - i think it's a built-in app.

I can try the wifi with mobile data disabled tomorrow for the whole day to see.

Wiping the cache I have tried a few times.  Have also probably done a factory reset 4 or 5 times over the last year.

I believe you.  Sometimes it is very difficult to find software issue without any clue.   I have seen PlayStore could drain the battery as it is usually gets updated with some services and the Google app too.

If you can't remove google app, disable it at least

userl55yTiLieQ
Asteroid

I have disabled the app; will keep you posted.

Also not sure if these screenshots help.  From the GSam Battery Monitor app

Screenshot_20190918-144513_GSam Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20190918-144518_GSam Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20190918-144522_GSam Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20190918-144529_GSam Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20190918-144536_GSam Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20190918-144540_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg

Neutron Star

So Android system is keeping the phone awake, but not too bad. Mobile data is active and the screen...it eats the most.  You have brightness set high?  I use auto all the time.

userl55yTiLieQ
Asteroid

Brightness is ALWAYS set to auto.  I don't think i've ever changed brightness manually.

But today, i set brightness to right next to the lowest setting the entire day just to see if it makes a difference.  It has slightly, but not as much.