cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uservgrto6bS79
Asteroid

How I Got My US Unlocked Galaxy S9 to Update

I read this elsewhere, decided to try it and it worked...
My service is with TMobile using a US factory unlocked Galaxy S9 stuck on baseband G960U1UEU3CSA8 and January 1, 2019 security patch.

No updates available via OTA or Smartswitch since it was updated to Android 9 in Feb/March.

I replaced the sim card with an old non-working one I used to have with ATT. Restarted it and after a small update for the sim card change I manually checked for a OTA update and it reported that an update was available.  I let that one install. It was baseband G960U1UEU5CSF1 with a June 1, 2019 security patch.  After that installed I again manually checked for an OTA update and it reported that another was available. So I let that one install too.  It is baseband G960U1UES6CSG4 with a July 1, 2019 security patch.

I checked again via OTA and Smartswitch and that was it. I replaced my TMobile sim card and rechecked OTA and through Smartswitch. No more updates were available  but Smartswitch now has a little notification that says my phone is using the latest software. Where before it did not list that.  I do not see or feel any phone improvement  but, I am happy with the more recent security patches.

So that's it...  good luck and I hope it works for you too.

Regards. Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung_ciaLXyw
Astronaut

Deliver to me

Deliver to me

amanda95
Galaxy

Re: How I Got My US Unlocked Galaxy S9 to Update

@uservgrto6bS79 wrote:

I read this elsewhere, decided to try it and it worked...
My service is with TMobile using a US factory unlocked Galaxy S9 stuck on baseband G960U1UEU3CSA8 and January 1, 2019 security patch.

No updates available via OTA or Smartswitch since it was updated to Android 9 in Feb/March.

I replaced the sim card with an old non-working one I used to have with ATT. Restarted it and after a small update for the sim card change I manually checked for a OTA update and it reported that an update was available.  I let that one install. It was baseband G960U1UEU5CSF1 with a June 1, 2019 security patch.  After that installed I again manually checked for an OTA update and it reported that another was available. So I let that one install too.  It is baseband G960U1UES6CSG4 with a July 1, 2019 security patch.

I checked again via OTA and Smartswitch and that was it. I replaced my TMobile sim card and rechecked OTA and through Smartswitch. No more updates were available  but Smartswitch now has a little notification that says my phone is using the latest software. Where before it did not list that.  I do not see or feel any phone improvement  but, I am happy with the more recent security patches.

So that's it...  good luck and I hope it works for you too.

Regards. Smiley Happy

Thank you for sharing.

uservgrto6bS79
Asteroid

As I mentioned in my original post, I still do not receive any updates when my TMO sim card is installed in my US Unlocked S9.

So today I changed the sim to a very old (not active) ATT sim card... and boom... my phone is now updated to Baseband: G960U1UES6CSH1, Security Patch: August 1, 2019.

I called TMO to inquire about this.  They said there was something wrong with my phone and they connected me directly to Samsung support.  Samsung remotely connected to my phone and quickly said it needed to be reflashed.  They recommended two places near my location (Bestbuy & uBreakiFix stores) to get it reflashed for free.  Bestbuy no longer offeres this service on Samsung phones and the guys at the uBreakiFix store tried to reflash it but he could not do it.  So I'll contact Samsung again for another sugggestion.  But,  if you are having similar issues with your phone at least now you know how to update it.

Regards  Smiley Happy

xeu100
Asteroid

Yeah, none of my TMO updates ever work so I've sent my ph...

Yeah, none of my TMO updates ever work so I've sent my phone to Samsung in the past and have used other sim cards.

Berserkr78
Constellation

Re: Yeah, none of my TMO updates ever work so I've sent my ph...

I tried this with an ATT sim card from a friend at work and it did not work. I may try again tomorrow and will try to reboot the phone a few times as I just read other users having to reboot a couple of times with the non-TMO sim card.

I also tried the Smart Switch windows app and nothing happened either.

TMO points the finger at Samsung. Samsung sends me on a wild goose chase to a UBreakiFix store, which they can't help.

I probably won't stick with Samsung when I'll decide to upgrade

uservgrto6bS79
Asteroid

Re: Yeah, none of my TMO updates ever work so I've sent my ph...

Just a thought..

I wonder if you need to use a different carriers "non-active" sim card like I did?  Who knows. Good luck.

Regards  Smiley Happy

uservgrto6bS79
Asteroid

Continuing from my original post...

I still have not figured out why my US Factory Unlocked Galaxy S9 will not update when it has my T-Mobile sim card installed.  Smiley Frustrated

Regardless... today I read that a new software was available.  So I again changed the sim to a very old (not active) ATT sim card... and boom... my phone is now updated to Baseband: G960U1UEU6CSH7, Security Patch: August 1, 2019.

This update installed a new "Night" mode for the camera.  Security Patch date is the same:  August 1, 2019.

Have fun updating yours.

Regards  Smiley Happy

@uservgrto6bS79 wrote:

Continuing from my original post...

I still have not figured out why my US Factory Unlocked Galaxy S9 will not update when it has my T-Mobile sim card installed.  Smiley Frustrated

Regardless... today I read that a new software was available.  So I again changed the sim to a very old (not active) ATT sim card... and boom... my phone is now updated to Baseband: G960U1UEU6CSH7, Security Patch: August 1, 2019.

This update installed a new "Night" mode for the camera.  Security Patch date is the same:  August 1, 2019.

Have fun updating yours.

Regards  Smiley Happy

Right, but this is the latest update that ATT phones have Smiley Happy  The T-Mobile update for unlocked models is: G960U1UEU3CSA8

uservgrto6bS79
Asteroid

Here is a link to Samsung's firmware versions for the S9 model G960U1.

http://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G960U1/VZW/doc.html

My phone works perfectly after switching the sim back to T-Mobile. And, I am happy with the latest security and features (like the camera night mode).

Regards  Smiley Happy