Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userIqei0sgNfF
Constellation

How to stop Camera Gallery pictures from rotating

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I take a landscape photo looking down.  When I review the photo while holding the phone in portrait mode the phote is full screen but rotated 90 degrees to the right. Phone in lanscape mode, the Gallery app rotates the picture another 90 degrees but now the photo is small with large black bars on either side.

Please don't tell be to turn auto-rotate/portrait from the top setting menu, that does squat.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: How to stop Camera Gallery pictures from rotating

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Open the picture in the gallery. If black bars are visible, tap the picture to bring up the white bars with the editing options. Tap the icon on the left end of the bottom row that looks like a cropping frame with a curved arrow. Tap the rotate icon on the left end of the slider until the photo is upright. Tap apply. The photo should now remain oriented upright regardless of phone rotation.

This occurs when the phone fails to recognize its orientation during capture, usually when pointing up or down. I don't know whether it is possible to disable the auto rotation completely, though.

Dan

Dan
Galaxy S9 SM-G960U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
6 REPLIES 6
userK7yt30IauB
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue here.

Anyone have a solution ?

Beueller ?

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Open the picture in the gallery. If black bars are visible, tap the picture to bring up the white bars with the editing options. Tap the icon on the left end of the bottom row that looks like a cropping frame with a curved arrow. Tap the rotate icon on the left end of the slider until the photo is upright. Tap apply. The photo should now remain oriented upright regardless of phone rotation.

This occurs when the phone fails to recognize its orientation during capture, usually when pointing up or down. I don't know whether it is possible to disable the auto rotation completely, though.

Dan

Dan
Galaxy S9 SM-G960U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
userfgJaKqOxck
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Dan, THANK YOU for finally answering a question that I spent two fruitless hours searching....seems like a very simple question - how to STOP a photo from rotating when I rotate the phone -  but not kidding, probably tried a dozen different suggestions on various forums and sites and yours was the only thing that worked.

There is an "auto-rotate" icon on the pull-down screen - you would think that by disabling auto-rotate, your photos would no longer rotate.  NOT THE CASE - it only stops the homescreen from rotating.   Hard to believe that at this point in the Galaxy's evolution the designers and engineers are making simple tasks more difficult and less intuitive!  Very frustrating.  

Side note - it appears the horrendous design flaws in the Samsung Galaxy S phones extend to the support web site as well...tried several times to login via my Google+ account to reply here, and after logging in, I go back to this section to post this reply and I'm prompted to login all over again.  I had to actually register to post this reply.  Again who is Samsung using to design their interfaces?  

userEJoKyt72i0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I found that while while in the camera app depending on how you hold the phone when your in the viewfinder the little icons (flash etc)  rotate as well this messes with the orientation of photos in the gallery app...so for example if your in the view finder pointing down and all the icons rotate 90 degrees when you go into the gallery the photo you took is gonna rotate 90 degrees so you gotta make sure the icons dont rotate if that makes any sense?

Leo4Clash
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also turn on Auto Rotate because this suggestion saves it in portrait mode but if you turn on auto rotate you can view it in landscape mode. Worked for me, took me less than a minute to do this suggestion. Thanks!

user06o5ykNMDO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was having the same problem with the Galaxy S10 running Android 9.0 (Pie), but your answer provided me with enough clues to find a solution.  For Pie: open the Gallery, bring up the image that went from portrait to landscape.  Select the "pencil i.e., Edit" then select the "rotate symbol" until the photo is in the position you desire.  Then select "Save” That’s it, you are all set.

1 May 2019