cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

How to turn off "OK Google" on Galaxy S9

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I do not want a phone that listens to me (I only want it to transmit and receive audio when I am on the phone speaking to someone) Listening to a website is ok too. BUT I do not want to talk to somebodys program. Phone menus are bad enough.

HOW DO I DISABLE THE "OK GOOGLE" FUNCTION

Please save me from foaming at the mouth and dropping dead from frustration.

And please speak as if to a 6th grader - I know NONE of the terminology - I just figured out

what the "HOME" button is and that is the extent of my familiarity with this infernal device.

Thank You in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: How to turn off "OK Google" on Galaxy S9

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey,

I have chosen an alternative method. 

Open the apps drawer. Scroll down to the bottom and Tap Settings. 

With settings open scroll down to Apps and Tap it.

With Apps open scroll down to the Google App and tap on it. 

With the Google app settings page open Tap Disable. 

Exit to your home page, long press the power switch, Restart the phone.

CLF 20190622_045441.jpg

20190622_045637.jpg

20190622_045847.jpg

20190622_050002.jpg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok try this open your Google app then in the bottom right corner click 3 dots that says more once you click it go down to settings then click Google assistant then click assistant then scroll down to the bottom it should say phone and add a device click phone then you should be able to toggle on and off hopefully it helps you 

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Gary-B82-Ambassador-Signature2Note 10+ Verizon Wireless
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for your quick reply - How do I find the google app? Does the phone come with the app installed or do I have to install it?

You may have noticed I mistakenly replied to my own post and then realized I hadn't replyed to your post.  My brain just does not mesh

with these phones at all.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I cannot find anything that seems to be Google apps so your post is not useful to me.

Perhaps as the US CARE Ambassador you might be able to shed some light here?

Or does "care" limit itself to automated responses only?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi thank you for the quick response - how do I find the google app?

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry about that if you open your app drawer and search for a app Google it should be the first one heres what it looks like 

Screenshot_20190621-090317_One UI Home.jpg

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Gary-B82-Ambassador-Signature2Note 10+ Verizon Wireless
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you - that was helpful.  My eyes have trouble resoving images and characters on the phone's (to me) small screen.

Also please excuse my expression of frustratioin - no disrespect was or is intended in any way.

Please understand, I have encountered all too often in monopoly professions a very arrogant attitude - specifically the "care-giver"

whether in the health, legal, real estate, gov position, or corp monopoly position often holds the clients care hostage to their "commanding self importance" -- that is they require one to never express any pain or doubts on penalty of the care/help/service being withheld.

I very much appreciate kind sir that you are trying to assist me with my difficulties and that you do not fall into the above abusive category.

THAT BEING SAID:

I am still having difficulty following your initial directions as follows,

"open your Google app --- DONE

then in the bottom right cornerclick 3 dots that says more--- I figure you meant 3  "lines" instead of 3 "dots" ---DONE

once you click it go down to settings--- DONE

Then click Google assistant GOOGLE ASSISTANT IS NOT CLICKABLE

What appears on my screen is

Google Assistant in Blue (not clickable) then immediately under it

Settings (clickable)

Explore (clickable)

then scroll down to the bottom it should say phone and add a device SEEMINLY IMPOSSIBLE ON MY PHONE BECAUSE THIS SIMPLY IS NOT WHAT APPEARS:

(1) If I just scroll down to the bottom - I find only the clickables "Autocomplete", "Video", and "About"

OR

(2) If I click "settings"  I  get a screen advertising the wonders of google assistant and below it

(a) an option to "TURN ON these settings for the FULL Assistant experience. You can still get a limited Assistent experience without them."

This is certainly not what I am looking for because:  WITH ALL DUE RESPECT KIND SIR - I simply do not want to be forced to have a

Google Assistant Experience of any kind whatsoever!

(b) then follows my screen name

(c) Then something called DEVICE INFORMATION (shares info about contacts, calenders, apps, music, and other data from your devices)

AGAIN WITH ALL DUE RESPECT: I do not my phone to share personal info period!

(d) Then something called VOICE & AUDIO ACTIVITY (Records your voice and audio to improve speech recognition)

AGAIN WITH ALL DUE RESPECT:  I do not wish for my phone to record my voice period! Nor do I want it to in any way use speech recognition.

SO BECAUSE THE ABOVE APPEARS ON MY SCREEN CONTRADICTION TO YOUR KIND, PATIENT, AND WELL INTENTIONED INSTRUCTIONS

I cannot in any way execute the following instructions.

click phone then you should be able to toggle on and off

Any further assistance you can give on this matter will be greatly appreciated.  Thank You in advance.

Highlighted
Astronaut

You could have also turned it off in googles assistance s...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You could have also turned it off in googles assistance settings

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

It seems you may have an outdated version of the Google a...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It seems you may have an outdated version of the Google app. Let me see what I can do for you.

1) You already know how to get to this screen, so just press "Settings" once you're here.20190621_214948.png

2) Look down and you'll find "Phone". Press this next.20190621_215012.png

3) To disable "Ok Google", turn off the switch for "Access with Voice Match".20190621_215054.png

I've heard that your phone will still pop up occasionally if it hears you afterwards, so you might be better off just turning off "Google Assistant" if you don't really use it.

Let me know if this works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: It seems you may have an outdated version of the Google a...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank You so much for your efforts:

However although my screen is very very close to your screen number one

There ARE some significant differences

(1) In the place where your screen shot #1 has a little blue question mark inside of a white background circle

(to the far right in the top blue horizontal stripe with   <--- Settings written in white on the blue to the left)

-- My screen does indeed have  <--- Settings on the left identical to your screen shot but to the far right my screen has two icons

--- the first one going from left to right is a Little magnifying glass symbol and the second is three dots placed vertically to one an other

sort of like this   * except that they are much closer together so that from a distance they just look like a vertical line.

(2) and there is one more difference:  Underneath the Blue on white background  Search all of the words are the same as in your screen shot

starting expept for the last one shown"Your feed"  Ny screen has the word "Discover"

It goes like this

Search

Notifications

Accounts & Privacy

Search language

Search region

Voice

Personal

Offline search

Discover

Autocomplete

Video

About

This detail is just to help pin down exactly what version of Google I have ended up with.

Now here is where things get wildly different

When I click on settings

I unfortunately do not get anything even slightly resembling your helpful screen #2

Instead what I get --- taking up about 1/3 of thscreen going from top to bottom...

is some weird grey circle with my screen name and email under it

The rest of the screen has a row of 4 headers (for lack of a better term) colored grey

except for whichever one is clicked on which when clicked on turns blue

Each provides a different set of clickable words beneath it when clicked on.

The 4 headers are:

You        Assistant       Services        Home

NONE of these when clicked on provide the options your helpful screen provide.

ARRRG!

Again from the bottom of my heart I thank you for your efforts