JUMP TO SOLUTION

This phone is freaking amazing

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: I just bought my Samsung Galaxy S9 plus

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm so glad you're enjoying your phone! @SJohnson

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an s9+ as well (trying it out), but if you think the s9+ is the best thing ever, you are a koolaid sipper who has never experienced the full power of stock android.  Believe me, there is a whole other world out there.  One filled with the latest Android OS (8.1), monthly security patches and seamless functionality without compromise.  Skinned OS's cannot compete.  Experience that and then tell us if your s9+ is the end all be all of Android.     

~ Former N6p, Pixel1 owner who tried an s9+ ~ With Android, The software experience is everything. Good specs doesn't mean great device. In the end, it's the software experience that makes or breaks hardware. I've dumped the S9(minus) and gone back to a device that receives actual support, regular updates and bug fixes. DONE WITH SAMSUNG - SOLD THE S9(minus) - YOU GUYS ARE LIARS!
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@shadowsportswrote:

I have an s9+ as well (trying it out), but if you think the s9+ is the best thing ever, you are a koolaid sipper who has never experienced the full power of stock android.  Believe me, there is a whole other world out there.  One filled with the latest Android OS (8.1), monthly security patches and seamless functionality without compromise.  Skinned OS's cannot compete.  Experience that and then tell us if your s9+ is the end all be all of Android.     

Um ok?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm so glad you're enjoying your phone! @SJohnson

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

I Am EzAce
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@shadowsportswrote:

Not quite sure what you're talking about. 😂 Don't belittle someone just because they love the new Galaxy. Sure, yes, we might get the slowest android updates, but then again, Google doesn't make an edged phone. That's cool that your user interface requires the latest android OS 100% of the time. I'm pretty sure the majority of us don't rely on "when's the next update coming?" Software wouldn't live without the hardware.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@I Am EzAcewrote:

@shadowsportswrote:

Not quite sure what you're talking about. 😂 Don't belittle someone just because they love the new Galaxy. Sure, yes, we might get the slowest android updates, but then again, Google doesn't make an edged phone. That's cool that your user interface requires the latest android OS 100% of the time. I'm pretty sure the majority of us don't rely on "when's the next update coming?"

Software wouldn't live without the hardware.

You are right about that, and once the shiny newness of the hardware fades, what's left...  the software experience.  This is what ultimately defines the device in the long run.  A great device doesn't remain great if its running an old unpatched OS.  Very shortly the device lacks innovation,  becomes stagnant and is less secure.

This is not what people want or expect when investing in a flagship device.  They want bugs to get fixed, new feaures and regular security updates.  

I own 2 samsung TV's.  LOVE THEM!  I'm not down on the brand...  but am down the s9+ right now.  I've had mine for 5 days and honestly, I just don't see how I'm going to be able to keep it.

-No ATT Visual Voice mail (witout APK download) for fully unlocked phone

-A MirrorLink Banner stuck on the screen when I get in my 2017 autombile (Google it, many complaints) You have to restart the phone to get rid of it.  Is this the best you've got?

-No visual text or email notifications on the lock screen unless I use Samsung "only" branded Apps

(what about the native gmail app and google Messages)  This is Android right?

**Edit - Have conducted further testing, only text messages display (briefly) on the lock screen.  Tested with samsung email app, and native Google mail apps.  You get an audible alert, but the email does not display (briefly) on the lock screen when enabled.  I restarted the phone between tests and when making changes to the settings.

-Facebook App baked into the OS - Really...? Can't delete, just disable

- I am bending over backwards giving this thing a chance

But its failing me in every situation, normal day to day use.  

As far as updates go, the latest isn't always best, I have plenty of hardware in my home that is running firmware that is several versions or builds old.  Even my car runs an older ECU map (and I'm not talking navigation).  I'm not sitting waiting for the next update.  Stability and useability are paramount.  I'm not complaining that the s9 and plus are running Oreo 8.0 instead of 8.1.  I'm disappointed because what is being offered is broken, not overly user or Android Eco-System friendly and Samsung is touting it as a flagship device.  Hardware wise it might be flagship.  From a software or user experience perspective, it's murky...  some good, some bad and maybe samsung is just hoping people are going to accept a slightly above average software experience running on the latest hardware with one of the nicest screens out there.   That is NOT enough.  Its a losing proposition for consumers.  High cost of ownership, poor user experience.  In the end, this is what people remember and what really matters or defines the hardware.   

~ Former N6p, Pixel1 owner who tried an s9+ ~ With Android, The software experience is everything. Good specs doesn't mean great device. In the end, it's the software experience that makes or breaks hardware. I've dumped the S9(minus) and gone back to a device that receives actual support, regular updates and bug fixes. DONE WITH SAMSUNG - SOLD THE S9(minus) - YOU GUYS ARE LIARS!
I Am EzAce
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry that you're having issues with you s9+. I suppose depending on your model version if you bought it straight from samsung there is the variance. As for the att apps shouldn't you be able to get some of them from the Google play store? If not then I'd say the software is provided from the att model. As for the quick view for emails and texting I haven't really checked other than the audible notification from the gmail app and Verizon message+ works right. Casting from your phone to your TV? I honestly have only used the smartthings app for my samsung TV and everything seems to function properly. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@I Am EzAcewrote:

I'm sorry that you're having issues with you s9+. I suppose depending on your model version if you bought it straight from samsung there is the variance. As for the att apps shouldn't you be able to get some of them from the Google play store? If not then I'd say the software is provided from the att model. As for the quick view for emails and texting I haven't really checked other than the audible notification from the gmail app and Verizon message+ works right. Casting from your phone to your TV? I honestly have only used the smartthings app for my samsung TV and everything seems to function properly. 

EzAce..

The first week of ownership has been very difficult.  Realizing the phone has just been released...   I stepped back and took a few deep breaths.  With last years Pixel2 XL as my only other option (not an option really)  I reset my samsung and once again set it up as a new device.

Pixel2..  buying last years phone (even considering it) was a hard pill to think about swallowing.  Its not a wise investment.  And here is a device (s9+) that kills it from a hardware perspective at every turn.  What does this translate in to..  In 12 months time, the XL would be a dinosaur...  even running the latest OS. 

The s9+ will still have great battery life, a faster CPU  and more memory, etc.  I cannot deny that.  Next, I rolled up my sleeves and dove deeply into my issues.  While I still like the Google Eco-System better than Samsung, I have learned in my years of support and development that most/many software issues can be overcome with patience and research.  I spent several hours looking at the main reasons why I was disappointed with the phone.  Some of it is trivial, but some of it is functionality that I expected to be there and just work.   

As time passed, I started finding ways to resolve some of the glaring issues.  The phone is not perfect, and the lack of visual lock screen notifications with mail (screen completely off) remains a pain point for me.  The Mirror Link

issue can likely be fixed and I will test it this weekend.  I'm not thrilled I have to do this, but remain open to giving the phone a chance. 

I Am EzAce
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@shadowsportswrote:

@I Am EzAcewrote:

EzAce..

The first week of ownership has been very difficult.  Realizing the phone has just been released...   I stepped back and took a few deep breaths.  With last years Pixel2 XL as my only other option (not an option really)  I reset my samsung and once again set it up as a new device.

Pixel2..  buying last years phone (even considering it) was a hard pill to think about swallowing.  Its not a wise investment.  And here is a device (s9+) that kills it from a hardware perspective at every turn.  What does this translate in to..  In 12 months time, the XL would be a dinosaur...  even running the latest OS. 

The s9+ will still have great battery life, a faster CPU  and more memory, etc.  I cannot deny that.  Next, I rolled up my sleeves and dove deeply into my issues.  While I still like the Google Eco-System better than Samsung, I have learned in my years of support and development that most/many software issues can be overcome with patience and research.  I spent several hours looking at the main reasons why I was disappointed with the phone.  Some of it is trivial, but some of it is functionality that I expected to be there and just work.   

As time passed, I started finding ways to resolve some of the glaring issues.  The phone is not perfect, and the lack of visual lock screen notifications with mail (screen completely off) remains a pain point for me.  The Mirror Link

issue can likely be fixed and I will test it this weekend.  I'm not thrilled I have to do this, but remain open to giving the phone a chance. 

I apologize. I understand that we all need and use our devices differently. It pains me to see that the software still needs more refinement on many different models. I would normally assume the unlocked/carrier free that ships to be the less buggy and be the true product. Yet I'm seeing that so far it is having more flaws than most you'd get right from your local carrier store.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not your buy a phone from a carrier sort person anyway.  This is what the MirrorLink bug looks like.  

I've tested it with 2 fully unlocked variants purchased directly from Samsung.  Both exhibit the same behavior connecting to a 2017 STI with the 7" premium navigation system.  Appears to be an issue with the phone's software.   Once this MirrorLink system message appears on the screen you have to reboot the device to make it go away.  This is with MirrorLink turned completed off prior to connecting the device.  Turning it on or off, or disconnecting the device does nothing. Restarting works until the next time the device is connected. 

https://imgur.com/a/gcIQ3

The system message is  expected.   However, if I don't turn it on it should go away.