cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Re: IMS Service Keeps Stopping

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem here,

Unlocked U.S Galaxy S9+ purchased from an Australian importer. (Kogan)

Model: SM-G965U1

Running terribly slow. Sometimes not responsive at all for 20-30 seconds. Frequent "IMS Service keeps stopping" popup error messages.

I've tried clearing caches and stopping sync and restarting as per Samsung Reps advice; however, the error persists.

Will the fix be pushed out automatically? Can you provide any timeline estimate?

The phone is still functioning to a degree but it is annoying and a bad look for such an expensive product in a competitive market.

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi folks - like all of you, I'm waiting desperately for a fix on this. I've sent details to forum moderators as they suggested, and also to Samsung via FB Messenger. Via messenger I asked 3 questions, which I've now had replies to. This may (or may not!) be helpful to some of you:

1 - I asked why the factory reset doesn't fix the problem and what is going on.

"We are unable to determine. But we provided the information gathered and pass it to our developer's team."

2 - I asked what would happen to my Samsung warranty if I downloaded Odin and used it to revert to older firmware. 

"Odin is a program that is used to root the device. We are unable to revert the update, but with Odin, you could go back to the previous update. However, once a phone has been rooted there is no way to remove or undo it. It is because the term "rooted" means an unauthorized modification of the device. On a basic level, rooting an Android phone means giving yourself superuser access. A superuser account on Android is similar to an administrator account. It allows more access to the operating system but also more possibility for damage. The result of that action is that you void your warranty, and possibly break your phone permanently. You won't be able to use any Samsung app, and your device won't receive any future updates."

[In other words, my phone which is only a couple of weeks old, used for less than a week before this happened, would have no warranty if I use Odin - so much as I love what @userNbbitgEJ5k suggested, I can't go afford to go there]

3 - I asked what the approximate timeline was on a fix. Communication being a necessity, etc

"We are unable to speculate the time as we are only a technical support time [sic]."

So... looks like I'll be attempting another factory reset today and if that doesn't work, will be left with no alternative but to return the phone and get a refund. 

Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Latenighter,

While some of what Samsung told you is true, I'm afraid it would appear that much of it isn't, and whoever is giving you that advice perhaps needs some more training.

I understand that Odin is actually the product that Samsung use internally to flash devices and while it is true that it can be used to rooot devices, when used to flash factory firmware it does no such thing. 

Flashing factory firmware does NOT magically give superuser access or rooot your device.

Most other manufacturers (even Apple) actually allow and encourage their customers to reflash their devices themselves and provide the software and firmware to do so!

I don't believe that it affects your warranty (whatever that might be worth for imported grey market devices). There is a "phone status" flag that is set if  "non offical" firmware is installed, but it isn't set when installing offical firmware like the previous good version in this case.

Also, it does NOT stop the receiving of future updates as I can attest with my phone still prompting me to install the latest (faulty) update, and all of my Samsung apps still work fine. Future updates are only banned when the flag referred to above is set.

Factory reset does not and can not fix this problem becasue the issue is with the firmware itself, so don't waste your time doing it again.

I should also perhaps point out that I can't see that there is anything stopping Samsung service centers flashing back devices to the previous version as the have access to all firmwares. They might not want to, but I believe that they can!

Regards, Graham

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone is the same. Sm-g965u1, bought in the US but use it in Australia. It's extremely slow and laggy, with error messages every 5 seconds. It's unbearable to use. Had to take my sim out and use my old galaxy s4. My girlfriend is having the same problems with her s10. This needs to be fixed ASAP

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Graham, thanks for your reply. That is really concerning, actually. I'm far closer to newbie than expert, but I'm not scared of technology and I'm happy to follow instructions to resolve tech issues. The problem here appears to be - how can we trust anything we are being told, with that kind of misinformation coming from Samsung staff charged with responding to the public? Good grief. Return and refund option is looking better and better. 

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The same problem here since the last update about a week ago (7 Sep. 19)

Samsung S9+ on Optus network

Tried all  the recommended solutions here with no luck. Disappointing!

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi GrahamR,

You might be able to help me as you seem to be pretty much on top of the reflashing process.

Having some issues with ODIN, won't seem to get past the setupconnection point of the process.

Model: G960U1

Carrier: Telstra

Software: G960U1UEU6SH7 (XAA)

Australia

Trying to revert to G960U1UEU6SH1 (XAA) with no luck.  Have tried flashing after factory reset and with normal profile on three different versions of Odin. I remove the SIM and SD cards prior to attempting the flash.

Have tried Odin V3.13.3; V3.13.1 and V3.13.1_3B patched.

Have installed the latest USB drivers 1.5.27.0

Occasionally the process will get to 'initialization' but that's where it stops.

Odin indicates that it detects the phone when plugged in on DL mode and I get all the ticks for the file being used.  Occasionally I will get the failed red box but that is rare for the process to get that far.

Maybe there is a small step I am missing out of this?  Have you or anyone else here come across this problem and may have a workaround?

Thanks 

** EDIT ** - Right, problem it turns out, was that I was using a USB3 - USBC cable.  Once I switched over to USBC - USBC then ODIN V3.13.1_3B Patched worked straight up.  

Have now reverted my phone back to the SH1_XAA version and phone works a treat again.

BTW, if anyone is interested, there is a reddit thread running with this same problem.  Picked up a few tricks (and D/L) from there.

Cheers

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not solved. Asking for details about the phone and a fictitious 'escalation' does not correct the problem. Did OP select this as the solution or has this been done by Samsung?

I had to follow GrahamR's advice on page 7. It seems to have worked, although my weather app no long functions. For a phone that costs over a grand, there is no excuse from Samsung as to why this wasn't dealt with immediately upon hearing of the error. Especially as it affects emergency calls and causes the phone to overheat.

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was totally worried because of the same problem since Saturday. I tried flashing old stock ROM but I wasn't able probably because samsung doesn't allow firmware older than the present one, I even tried clearing cache and hard reset but was no help.

however yesterday when I was searching for the solutions in web I found one old post where it was mentioned:

- to clear cache and data of IMS service

- and to clear data of message app

- restart the device

I did that, but couldn't find any changes in the lag. however, after a while I switched off the phone and plugged in to charge, after sometime when I turned the device on it didn't show that annoying IMS service stopped working. 

I didn't notice it right away because I had an image in mind that this is a update bug for sure and I will have to wait until next update to fix the issue. 

Anyway, its been more than 12 hours now and I have no issues so far.

Still, I hate Samsung for not responding anything to this issue.

P.S. I did not clear data of message app in the first place. So I had to get annoyed for 2 days by this issue. I would recommend to backup data in PC using Smart Switch (that's what I did 😁), and clear data of message app.

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungZell - samsung need to replace all devices that have been affected by samsung's INCOMPETENCE of pushing out an update that rendered peoples phones useless - we paid for our phones and samsung have broken them!!!

The Solution proposed by @SamsungZell is to send your phones spec's to him / her (which is not a solution), which I have done but there is still no soution to the problem!!!!  

@SamsungZell  what is the solution to fix my phone problems caused by samsung's unprofessionalism of pushing out an update, which responsible samsung owners installed to ensure their phones are on the latest, most secure software version?