Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userpnipUbzzj2
Asteroid

Re: IMS Service Keeps Stopping

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE 

Hi All 

For those of you who are impacted by this issue, that is a USA version of S9 / S9+ being used in Australia and giving an error message of IMS Service Keeps Stopping since the latest upgrade rolled out, the ONLY solution is a software change.  This can be - 

1. Samsung rolls out an upgrade, with the bug being fixed.  There is no timeline available on when this would happen. EDIT - Apparently Samsung has released G965U1UEU6CSI1 that fixes this issue, but I haven't tried it myself.  
  2. Downgrade your phone's firmware to the previous version.  This can be done now. 

I have used the second option, as was also suggested by @GrahamR and @Constellation in their posts.  The firmware is available on multiple websites (primary ones being SamMobile, SamFirm etc.) but download speed is TOO SLOW unless you pay them a fee.  I downloaded it from another source and the speed was pretty good.  Please note this is for S9 only, NOT suited for S9+.  

You need to be patient while downloading.  There are 5 files in the ZIP folder.  I used a Mac to unzip and it always failed (file size being over 4GB) however a Windows machine worked like a charm.  

You need to use the tool ODIN to load this firmware on your phone.  There are plenty of videos available on 'How to use Odin'.   

Please note that flashing your phone is a risky affair and the steps / guides MUST be followed properly.  I take NO responsibility should you brick your phone.  Use it at your own risk.  

If you need help, PM me and I'll try to do as much as I can.  Again, you are responsible for your actions and I am not liable for anything you do.  

Thanks @GrahamR and @Constellation 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, this message is to inform you that a post of yours has been changed on page for breaking the terms of service. A link to the terms of service will be posted below for your reference. The community is a support related community where we encourage users to be interactive with one another, but we like to keep the technical progression of any thread or post related to the issue and it's troubleshooting when possible. Outside links that do not contain troubleshooting articles or repair tips are not allowed in the community. This includes links to lawsuits, petitions, fundraisers, etc. We understand that sometimes hard feelings are to be had, and you are more than welcome to share your thoughts and opinions.  However, when sharing we ask that you maintain the terms of service. Thank you for being here in the community and we look forward to reading more positive posts from you. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Welcome-Blog/Samsung-Community-Terms-and-Conditions/ba-p/460091

userU0y7xywOyL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Still no software solution for the S9.  Only the S9+

C'mon Samsung.. get it together please.  Or advise when you're fixing this instead of deleting posts

GrahamR
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userU0y7xywOyL assuming your phone is a US Unlocked model, Samsung have released firmware that fixes the problem for your phone - version is G960U1UEU6CSI1. If you're not seeing it via Settings/Software update/Download and install, you'll either have to wait or install it manually from Sammobile.

Highlighted
userU0y7xywOyL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not terribly helpful GrahamR.  Yes, my S9 was purchased in the US.  And no the update is not available to me.  I have checked for updates via the settings menu every day (obviously!). 

I shouldn't have to go and download the software from another site.  It should be made available to me and other poor S9 users as it has been to S9+ owners.  Hence my asking what Samsung is doing to fix the problem for us.   Phone is still next to useless anytime you're not using a US SIM.

Samsung_dGrcrrO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have the J2 and it just goes slow, other than that I haven't had any issues.

Samsung_h5NGslb
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Seviso

GrahamR
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userU0y7xywOyL Don't take it out on me, I'm just a poor user like you. and have no affiliation to Samsung at all

I'm just showing you that the updated firmware is actually available, and I believe others on here with S9s (model SM-G960U1)  have actually received the new update (G960U1UEU6CSI1) automatically.

What is your model? IS it a actually a SM-G960U1?

userU0y7xywOyL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes GrahamR it IS actually a SM-G960U1.  Don't you think I'd check! And yes, it's unlocked.  And yes I can read the other posts on here that a software solution has been made available.

And no, I've seen no posts on here from anyone with the S9 saying thay have had the problem fixed other than by going to a web site and downloading software from there.  The only users for whom the problem has been resolved are those with the 965 model, the S9+

uservYwQJ1M8F4
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was the first to mention the new update fixed my phone mine IS a S9 not the S9 plus, maybe contact your telco to see why there is no update, we can see you are frustrated as we all where, but Graham was only trying to help. we are all end users just like you.
You are getting angry at the wrong people.

If the software in your phone sdoesnt match the listed upgrade I'd suggest checking with your telco as to why its not working.
Also my wifes phone often gets software 2 weeks after mine, they stage rollouts, so it may well be just a matter of waiting until its your turn.
If your security update does in fact say september then I would hazard a guess and say you'd need to clear its cache and do a reset, if that doesnt work your problem may not be related to the last update.