cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamR
Asteroid

Re: IMS Service Keeps Stopping

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried to post step by step instructions on how to fix this problem but the moderators for this site keep removing it for some reason that I don't understand!

Last try with the actual links removed - you will need to search for them.

The interim method to fix the problem is to re-install the previous version of the firmware for your phone. For the S9 and S9+ US Unlocked phones (SM-G960U1 and SM-G965U1) the previous firmware has a build date of 30-Jul-2019 and has SH1 at the end of the filenames (the faulty firmware has SH7).
This is standard factory firmware and should work with normal untouched phones.
You can find instructions on the sammobile website.

BACKUP your phone first and read the instructions VERY carefully.

Make sure you use the HOME_CSC file and NOT the plain CSC file otherwise you will wipe all your data.

1. Search for sammobile website and do a free registration.
    Find and download the correct firmware for your phone.
    For my phone which is a US unlocked S9+ with a model number of G965U1 and a product code of XAA the correct firmware ended with "G965U1UES6CSH1/285290/"
  2. Download and install the Windows software called Odin.
  3. Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:
    AP (System &Recovery)
    BL (Bootloader)
    CP (Modem / Radio)
    CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator) – DO NOT USE THIS ONE!!!
    HOME_CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)
  4. Add each file to it's respective field in Odin. Make sure you use HOME_CSC_*** and not CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data.
  5. Reboot your phone in Download / Odin mode (make sure your device is off) with the following button combo: POWER + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY
  6. Once in download mode, connect your phone to the PC, preferably using the original USB cable you got with your phone. Odin should detect your device and a BLUE box will show up with the COM port number. (Be sure, the SAMSUNG-drivers are installed on your PC!)
  7. Do NOT tick any extra boxes. The only options to be ticked are F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot.
  8. Click the start button, wait for Odin to say 'PASS' in a GREEN box. Once the flash is complete, your phone will reboot, and you can disconnect your phone from the PC.
  9. Once the phone has restarted turn off “Auto download over Wi-Fi” under “Software update” in Settings, otherwise the faulty firmware will automatically get re-installed again!
userpsoIHEqC1i
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'd love to revert back to previous firmware as discuss. Issue is, these sites that allow you to download the previous firmware files are EXTREMELY slow - Like, dial up level of slow. In 2019. Unless you throw cash at them to get a "Premium" account. It's like we are on MegaUpload days all over again. What gives? Anyone has a more helpful link where I can download the file? A magnet link perhaps? 'Cause this nonsense ain't gonna fly.

And it looks like big daddy Sammy has 0 fawks to give and ain't fixing this up anytime soon.

userIncKDcaC5c
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm from New Zealand and did the update this morning (10th September) and am now getting the same issue regarding IMS Service has Stopped! the phone is also responding slowly! not happy! we need a fix asap

useruKLdHVQaNo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have just updated my phone and am now getting the same issues. Brought my phone in the US but using in New Zealand which means no help form Samsung NZ. How is this update still being released when I can see there are so many people with the same issue some from a week ago!

useris3skSajjG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problem after the software patch and my phone is now slow, the battery drains within 2 hours, my apps are not working - my phone is basically useless!!!

I have tried all the suggested solutions without any resolution!!!

userasyhFhmLbR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I got some more info: I removed the simcard, and the problem is gone, so I can tell the problem is related to the simcard, or something. But without the simcard, the phone is useless.

uservYwQJ1M8F4
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I sent Samsung AU a email on Sunday they responded with this 

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics Australia.

We are sorry to learn about the inconvenience caused by the issue. We are aware of this problem and most of the affected devices are Non-Australian variant. Samsung is already working on a resolution and will release a patch update to rectify the issue in the soonest possible time.

To isolate and possibly fix the issue, we have prepared some troubleshooting steps below.

• Clear Message app Cache.

1. Go to phone Settings and tap Apps.
2. Tap the 3-dot icon and select Show system apps.
3. Scroll to tap Messages app and select Storage.
4. Tap Clear Cache.

• Clear Message Service (System Apps) Cache.

1. Go to phone Settings and tap Apps.
2. Tap the 3-dot icon and select Show system apps.
3. Scroll to tap Message service and select Storage.
4. Tap Clear Cache. Once done, please remove the cloud sync and restart the device.

• Check for an availalbe patch update.

1. Go to phone Settings and tap Software update.
2. Tap on Download and install or Update software manually to search for an available update.

For Non-Australian variant, we suggest contacting your device country of origin to ask for other possible options to fix the problem.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via these channels

"

userQiDZB5LWI5
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue on my S9, Upgraded to latest update today (10/09/19) and since then it's useless. The phone screen is freezing, Error messages are coming, Battery is dying very quickly. Basic troubleshooting didn't work, Reset my phone, Lost my all data as it was not able to copy the data, it kept crashing and the phone was freezing, after the factory reset, it still showing my that error, worst ever experience with Samsung, this needs to be fixed urgently. Plus whole battery got finished in less than 2 hrs without any use. is this a joke ??

userf9W2y0t8Sd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is my solution to this problem:

1) Buy Google Pixel 3a

2) Sell Samsung Galaxy S9

I already completed step 1. The Pixel 3a is awesome. I'll complete step 2 once (if) Samsung gets around to fixing this issue.

I'm done with Samsung. I'm done with Bixby. I'm done with the headaches!!

userrhCJ8swsKn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

My daughter whom we bought the phone for, has this happening continually. Tried the force stop, clear cache, reset phone - doesn't work. 

Battery drains without using, super slow charging, sluggish screens and apps, continual IMS Service Keeps Stopping popping up what seems every minute.

Surely can't be held to ransom by Samsung like this for buying an unlocked phone.

Contacted whom we bought the phone off - Australian supplier - large company. Their response - 

Sep 10, 14:38 AEST

Hi          ,

Thanks for getting in touch with us and I am sorry for the service issues you are facing at the moment.

I just wanted to provide a response to assist you in what we have currently found out so far.

At this point in time, it looks as though the recent Samsung Security Update has caused a specific mobile service known as "IMS Service" to stop responding.

This service seems to be related to voice and multimedia communications through internet connections, such as video calls, calling over mobile data or WiFi etc.

After being in touch with Samsung, they have confirmed that they are aware of the issues Galaxy customers are reporting with models like the one you are using.

We have been advised that an update based on the models affected is in the works and is expected to be rolled out to the affected devices as soon as possible. We are currently trying to identify what reasonable timeframe this may be.

We are also looking into any temporary solutions that may allow you to continue using the phone, with a possible reduction in options (i.e. video calling and related multimedia communication features) while allowing the phone to continue being used for your everyday tasks.

We will be in touch shortly with any options that we feel would be suitable for your consideration.

Understandably, this is not an event we would expect to occur with your mobile. Should a solution not present itself in a timely manner from Samsung or ourselves, we will gladly honour a return for a resolution under our Customer Charter.

Any patience you have or would be willing to provide during this time is appreciated, but please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything you would like to discuss further.

In the meantime, if there is anything else we can assist with, please let us know.