cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Is 52.2GB of Internal Storage how much a 64GB Galaxy 9+ phone should have?

I have been trying to figure out why the internal storage space on my phone continues to dwindle for no apparent reason.

I ran an app called DiskUsage, and it generated the enclosed graphic of my internal storage.

My phone should have 64 GB of internal storage, and I understand that a good chunk of that is taken up with the Android operating system and system data. Isn't that the 15.5GB of "System Data" in the attached graphic? If so, then why does the graphic say my total internal storage is only 52.2 GB instead of like 59.6? I understand that it would never read the full 64GB, but shouldn't the total storage space be closer to 60GB?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is 52.2GB of Internal Storage how much a 64GB Galaxy 9+ phone should have?

looks like est. of memory usage/not used added together for the total shown of 52.2. looks like your using that much of your card.
Constellation

apps and updates falling in behind your back up wall
Halo

The reason "available" memory is less than your total stated device memory is because a good chunk of it is used for partitions you don't ever see. There is the Boot Partition, System Partition, ODM Partition, Recovery Partition, Cache Partition, Misc Partition (used by Recovery), Userdata Partition (this is the memory you see), Metadata Partition (used only if encrypted), Vendor Partition (carrier stuff if the phone is carrier branded). There is also a Radio Partition that only some OEMs use, and a TOS Partition for Trusty OS only for some OEMs.

Some of those partitions are pretty small. But System would take the biggest chunk.

The "System data" you see is not the System Partition, but probably additional customizations and files used by the system which will go in the Userdata Partition.
Constellation

It has been one month, and my System Data partition is now taking up 17.9 gigabytes. In other words, System Data has grown 2.4 GB in a month. This growth has been going on all year, and I assume that System Data will eventually take over my entire internal storage space.

Can anyone please help me figure out what is growing out of control on the System Data partition of my Internal Storage so that I can try and stop it?

I implore Samsung to please create a tool to fix this.
Constellation

It has been 18 more days of me uninstalling apps on Internal Storage to make enough space for app updates to work. However, the System Data partition has now grown to 18.9 GB despite me feverishly uninstalling apps. That's 1GB of growth on Internal Storage for no apparent reason in 18 days.

Samsung or the community, I beg you all once again to please help me figure out what is growing out of control on my System Data partition. Users should not have to root their phones or perform hard resets for a problem that could just come back again and others have experienced. Help us get to the source of this problem or create tools that help resolve it.
Constellation

Thanks for all the great info. Looking at the graphic in my original post, do you know of any tools to see what is growing out of control in that System Data partition? The size of that partition is now 4GB higher than when I originally posted. There must be a way to find out what is metastasizing in that space. I have been feverishly removing things from internal storage and adding nothing. My only guess is that some rogue app is writing out of control. You would think that Samsung would want to investigate this anomaly to provide a fix for tons of other users that are surely being affected by a similar problem.