cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llamee1
Asteroid

Issues with auto brightness - 9+ on Verizon

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is anybody else having issues with auto brightness taking forever to adjust?  When I unlock the phone in the morning, the brightness starts off at a blinding brightness and slowly goes to where it should be for a dark room.  I have two

S9+ phones on Verizon and both are doing the same thing.  I've watched the brightness slider move when it does this and it takes forever to dim the screen.  Just wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same issue or found a solution.  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quad5Ny
Asteroid

Re: Issues with auto brightness - 9+ on Verizon

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Auto Brightness being slow to respond is on purpose (at least in my opinion), it results smoother brightness adjustments when the phone is exposed to rapid ambient light changes

As for the brightness going way up during unlock, it might be a way to grab some additional detail for the hybrid Face+Iris unlock if you're using that.  Else, I have no idea.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
user2pUe08cvdC
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes. I noticed very slow auto brightness as well. I am using S9+ TMobile

Hopefully future updates will fix these issues.

Highlighted
llamee1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank you. I've been searching online and haven't found anyone else reporting it yet.
userCUw3wpOET9
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the s

useraGVZwX7vky
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here. S9 from Xfinity Mobile (Verizon MVNO). Jump from iPhone 6S.

A super beautiful screen, managed by unbelievable bad software.

userLNtu0xqWGd
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been searching for this too but no luck besides this post. Wondering if it's a software issue or the sensor issue...

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, 

I have the Gs9. I set the default low at 60%. When I hold phone up to a 100 watt led bulb it goes to max really fast. When I turn it back towards me it slowly slides back to 60%. Takes about 5 to 6 seconds. I don't know how to compare that to forever so I don't know if 5 or 6 seconds is a short or long time. No sarcasm intended. I'm just curious if mine should react faster. 

userLaBmBekPqs
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How did you set the default low?! I need that!

Mine forces the low end brighter and practically blinds me at night. I have to turn off adaptive brightness so often I ask why bother at all

@CLF  wrote:

Hello, 

I have the Gs9. I set the default low at 60%. When I hold phone up to a 100 watt led bulb it goes to max really fast. When I turn it back towards me it slowly slides back to 60%. Takes about 5 to 6 seconds. I don't know how to compare that to forever so I don't know if 5 or 6 seconds is a short or long time. No sarcasm intended. I'm just curious if mine should react faster. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey,

I really don't know exactly how this works so I'm wondering if anyone has reset the usage pattern data for a fresh start. 

I didn't realize that the current version of auto brightnes is learning our usage patterns. I'm teaching it to set the brightnes at 5:00 am to 55% when I have low lighting levels and raise it to 65% when the sun is fully up and I have brighter lighting levels. So now I need to teach it my preferred display brightnes when I'm outside in full brightnes environment. I'm thinking that when I go back inside it will lower the display brightnes to 65% and after the sun goes it will automatically lower it to 55%. When I wake up at 5:00 am and turn on the desk lamp it should be at 55%. Is this how it works for everyone? 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I see now why you're saying that it takes forever to lower the brightnes back to the lower level. It's really more noticeable when I sit in a completely dark room, turn on a 100 watt bulb, put the phone next to it and then turn it off. When it's at 95 to 100% and I go straight to blackout it lowers a little bit pauses then lowers a bit, pauses again and does this all the way back to 50%. When it's moving in smaller increments it's much faster and less noticeable.