cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kjsa71
Cosmic Ray

Latest messenger update on Galaxy s9

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I downloaded the latest messages update 2 days ago  and the entire message log is white. Background is all white,  every conversation is white.  No matter what theme I use,  the theme changes everything except for messages. So I went under settings, then apps, then messages and once messages was open I clicked the 3 dots on the top right, then clicked uninstall update.  The messages were still all white even after reapplying the current theme so I had to download a different theme which finally changed the messages back to matching the theme and then I reapplied my theme and I was back to the themed messages I enjoyed.  Now it randomly downloads that update and I have to redo the above steps

So does anyone have a fix for this yet? It's very frustrating.  I don't think there are very many people who actually want an all white background for their new s9 phone...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kjsa71
Cosmic Ray

Re: Latest messenger update on Galaxy s9

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Everyone, you can uninstall the update instead of doing a hard reset then un-apply your theme and apply it again and that works for me. 

Go to settings 

Then apps

Then messages

Then 3 dots at top right

Then uninstall update

Then apply a different theme

Then apply the theme you want and your messages are like you want it

35 REPLIES 35
SmiLeoGeo1013
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing here. And I paid for several themes just for the messaging layout and now the background is all white and the bubble colors are messed up. If they can't fix this then I want a refund for the themes I paid for since they are no longer working and I will just start using another messaging app. 

userrHqnMQrF71
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did a hard reset of the phone and that that seemed to reapply my theme. However, I can no longer send bitmojis or gifs in texts anymore. They read as 'file not supported' and can't be sent. Very annoying. Anyone have a fix for that? 

userbA0idZOc62
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i too received the "update" and now my messages are themed in white.  no theme will "apply" to it. Samsung is really starting to annoy me with these "updates".  First one breaks email/badges.  and now this.  what will the next update do?!? i'd go back to my S8+ but the oreo update hosed that one and i assume it will receive a similar update for messages.  guess i'll start looking at 3rd party apps.

userourkJP3k68
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Try a hard phone reset. This resolved the issue for me!

Now if only we can get custom text message notification sounds back...
Kjsa71
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Everyone, you can uninstall the update instead of doing a hard reset then un-apply your theme and apply it again and that works for me. 

Go to settings 

Then apps

Then messages

Then 3 dots at top right

Then uninstall update

Then apply a different theme

Then apply the theme you want and your messages are like you want it

Redhotrussian
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thing is....

WE. SHOULDN'T. HAVE. TO. DO. A. HARD. RESET. 

SAMSUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kjsa71
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You don't have to

Redhotrussian
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

With every issue I research, it's almost always a reset. 

Why do we have to risk losing anything on our phones to fix something they caused? I'll admit I'm not that tech savvy. But we're basically forced to fix an expensive piece of equipment all on our own because there's directions on YouTube. 

I guess everyone also fixes their cars, dishwashers, washing machines, microwaves, computers, etc.

Well because there's a video for it!!!

Kjsa71
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I posted a fix above that didn't involve a hard reset.