cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: My Samsung Galaxy S9 did a factory reset on its own and deleted all the data on my SD card

Mine just did the same thing. I picked my phone up and noticed it felt hot, despite me not using it all afternoon. I noticed it was on the black reboot screen. The top option was highlighted, and said  "start normally", so I chose that and NOT factory reset. Next thing I see is the android man and the word "erasing". There was no way to prevent this. Eventually the phone restarted, and everything is gone, including my passwords and emails. Why did this happen??

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: My Samsung Galaxy S9 did a factory reset on its own and deleted all the data on my SD card

My s9+ had a bad battery and when it shut itself off due to low power when it turned back on i couldnt boot back into my phone, it was the welcome to android screen, at least my SD card had all its info but i put it into a new phone and didnt try to restore 

Highlighted
Constellation

Hi, I've experienced the same after changing the SIM card on my S9. The phone just went into factory reset on its on and erased everything. 

This "feature " is supposed to only work the first time you out in the SIM, but apparently it can happen any time. 

Samsung support failed to acknowledge or provide any help with this matter.

I'll never trust Samsung again, I'm planning on going public Canada wide to warn all the users. 

Highlighted
Constellation

My Samsung Galaxy A10E also did a factory reset “on its own” on Nov 22, 2019 while I was on a vacation in the Holy Land. Lost everything on the device, including all photos from this trip.. I called Verizon, from whom I purchased the device, who immediately started chatting about backups using Google photos or Verizon Cloud. I agreed with the representative that yes, I should have been backing things up all along using a 3rd party tool, but that hadn’t done so since I started using the device in August 2019. I also mentioned that I typically used the phone’s camera without a data connection, especially when I’m in remote places, and that talk about backups was besides the point. I had simply shut the phone down to save battery, and then when I turned it back on, I began seeing the ‘initial setup’ screens. 

The Verizon rep transferred our call to a Samsung rep, who after having expressed her sorrow over my negligance with respect to cloud backups, informed me the that software updates sometime have “glitches” which can cause these kid of resets to occur. 

As a religious person, I’ve been somewhat successful restraining my anger. A few things, obvious to me, persist in my mind nevertheless...

1. Why did the device reset, without warning?

2. Why was I not prompted to save the content stored locally?

3. Why does Samsung distribute makes/models/software that they acknowledge has such a major design flaw?

4. Why did the Verizon rep refuse to admit the design flaw that was acknowledged by the Samsung rep? When I called Verizon back and asked if I could return the device (now clean of my personal data!) and get a refund or, at a minimum, stop making further payments on the remaining balance (about $200), I was told that this was impossible because, according to Verizon, there’s nothing wrond with the Samsung Galaxy A10E make/model. The rep said that the best they could do is send me a replacement—same make and model.

5. Who in their right mind would trust a make/model a second time if it has a tendency of resetting itself in this manner?

6. Does Samsung review or respond to posts I this so-called community? If not, why not?

7. What is it about multi-billion companies like Samsung and Verizon, and their mutual interests, such that neither is ultimately accountable for product defects and neither is able to admit failure, such that I am unable to return the product but I have only one option: to use it, by continuing to pay the remaining $200 balance for my current or for a replacement Samsung Galaxy phonethat we all know has this major design flaw? 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Has anyone reported this to Samsung, because my phone just erased itself and when dealing with "customer support" they told me they have no reports of this happening.  I told them "you do now. I'm reporting it"

Then I sent a link to this community and they said it wasn't a samsung website. 

Cosmic Ray

Re: My Samsung Galaxy S9 did a factory reset on its own and deleted all the da..

My s9+ sprint did 6 days ago

Highlighted
Constellation

Same thing happened with my mom's s9+. I'm not sure how it happened, but there's this thing you can find in settings called "Auto factory reset" where after 15 incorrect attempts to unlock your phone, it'll automatically reset and delete everything. Make sure you disable it because in default settings, it's  enabled. One more thing, pressing and holding the volume and bixby button will also reset your phone and delete everything so make sure it's not being pressed when you leave it somewhere. (My mom hates samsung now and is planning to replace her s9+ with an iphone instead. I don't blame her. ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR PHONE!!!

Highlighted
Constellation

Mine just did right now.. all of a sudden.. i was just using it and all of a sudden it just shut off

Highlighted
Constellation

I woke up this morning to my S9+ doing a random factory settings. I am totally heartbroken as I lost do many photos and videos of my children. 

I back my photos up once in a while in dropbox but it's been a while. It's ALL gone. Even my SD card is empty.