cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userbzqQM2R4dX
Constellation

My Samsung Galaxy S9 did a factory reset on its own and deleted all the data on my SD card

Yesterday, I went to take a picture on my Galaxy S9 phone (Verizon is the carrier) and the phone had done a factory reset on its own.  I had used the phone all day without issue.  I tried to restart the phone hoping that it would boot up normally, but it booted up the factory reset screen.  I had to enter my information into the phone and download all my apps etc...  If downloading and reentering information and settings was bad enough, the worst part (and the part that I can't figure out) is how/why the phone also deleted all the data on my mounted SD card.  I called and spoke to Verizon technical support and did not get any help.

I had never heard of an Android phone doing a factory reset on its own and I thought that the only way that the phone would delete the files on an SD card was if the owner affirmatively formatted the card.  I stored a lot of data/files on the SD card to protect them if something happened to the phone.

I've tried to recover the data that was lost on the SD card, but have not had any luck.  I'm also now concerned that my phone will do this again in the future.

Has anyone else had this experience with the S9 or other Samsung Galaxy phones?  Is it a known issue?

2 REPLIES 2
userrvD3pMK8KS
Constellation

Re: My Samsung Galaxy S9 did a factory reset on its own and deleted all the data on my SD card

Mine did the same thing yesterday. Totally arbitrary. Lost everything. Been rebuilding since

Highlighted
sonic65101
Cosmic Ray

This is why I make frequent backups using Smart Switch. I...

This is why I make frequent backups using Smart Switch. It's never happened to me, knock on wood, but if you use a lockscreen (it might also be Secure Startup or both), there is an option to automatically activate a factory reset if an incorrect pin is entered too many times.