cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scarface3009_2
Cosmic Ray

No update on unlocked S9

It's August 6th and still no update on my Samsung Galaxy S9 unlocked I'm still in the January patch.... Who else is having this problem.

11 REPLIES 11

Try using SmartSwitch. My phone won't update without it...

Try using SmartSwitch.

My phone won't update without it for some reason and it all started since I was in the pie beta program :/

Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: No update on unlocked S9

yes if you manually flash your devices as beta version not really an official beta software then you are most likely will not receive an update at all.

═════════════════════════════════════
If you post new question please specify your Phone model and Carrier.
If you like my comment please hit ♥
if I answer your question please hit the 'accept as solution' button
Scarface3009_2
Cosmic Ray

I tried using smart switch and I don't have no update...

I tried using smart switch and I don't have no update...

Iron5774
Constellation

Having the same issue with an unlocked S9+. No update sin...

Having the same issue with an unlocked S9+. No update since Feb. '19. So because we signed up for the beta program (which just kind of ended with no notice) then we don't get anymore updates? Is this a Samsung isuue or a carrier issue (T-mobile)? Who should I contact?

Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Having the same issue with an unlocked S9+. No update sin...

@Iron5774 well after the beta program ends it should revert back to your official software and I believe you have to signup and register your IMEI for beta version and a lot of people they flash the beta version without officially registering it and that can cause a lot of issues because this will not be able to receive updates at all after beta ends. The only way to solve this is to reflash your devices to a current software not a beta software or go to ubreakifix center.

Highlighted
Capt_Mal
Constellation

I never signed up for the Beta program, nor did I manually flash my S9+ (Unlocked) and I still have not gotten an update since January which was an automatic OTA update that happened overnight, never touched my phone and the update went fine, everything works except I no monger get updates apparently. (Side note I did switch carriers to T-Mobile at the beginning of February after I got the January Update to Pie, and the January Android security patch.) Could that have caused me to no longer get updates?

Samsung Care Ambassador

@Capt_Mal okay i know the issue now. Try to pop out the sim card and update the device if not you have to insert a different sim card not tmobile to update. Tmobile is delaying the unlocked phones update so i think samsung is excluding updates for tmobile customers.

Capt_Mal
Constellation

@RedDragon Thank You for your advice! I FINALLY got it to update! I found my old AT&T sim card, and used that. I had to pop out the T-Mobile sim card for the AT&T one, reboot twice, then did all the updates that were available. Then I swapped sim cards again and rebooted twice to be able to use my phone again on T-Mobile. (The AT&T sim card was deactivated, but that did not seem to be an issue with getting the phone to get the updates it so desperately needed.

I already have other reasons to go reach out to T-Mobile and express my concerns and tell them what-for, because they apparently decided to deactivate a tower and I no longer get service at home without using WiFi calling which they told me wouldn't work, HA guess they were wrong, buthaving no service in my neighborhood is a pain, and with this update blocking, I will probably go back to AT&T or maybe even give Verizon a try.

It did not seem to be an issue that the old sim card was deactivated so hope this helps other people, and they can get updates and more importantly security patches on their unlocked phones on T-Mobile.

Samsung Care Ambassador

@Capt_Mal T-Mobile is having issues with their network recently. They were having issues with LTE band 71 (600mhz) and Band 4. These issues cause VoLTE to drop the calls and currently they are updating the network for RCS as well and T-Mobile is having issues with the unlocked test units samsung sent them so Tmobile delayed the certification request from samsung for months, according to my "source". Samsung really wants to push the update as soon as possible but it may delay if the certification request is not granted yet by the networks.