cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perlmane
Cosmic Ray

Re: Notification badge icon not working on Samsung Galaxy S9

I had an update yesterday on AT&T CBS now everything works. 

I never had a bad day. Hope you never do either...
user4aJeIjpAR4
Astronaut

I am having the same issue and extremely annoying.   Did you find a fix?

userl6hHKh9wOz
Constellation

Was there ever a solution posted for this error?? I'm STILL having this same issue.....makes me regret getting this phone when there was nothing wrong with my S6 edge plus.

userDYUSEadDut
Asteroid

Nope.

And from the time between posts in this thread, we can only deduce that people have given up on Samsung.

Only time will tell .........

RussB
Constellation

Hello All,

The badge will only show up on an app icon when there is a corresponding notification. If you clear the notification by swiping it away, the badge and it's count within it disappears. This behaviour is intentional by design since Oreo, and is disliked by everybody.

Nothing that has been described has fixed this issue on my phone (Galaxy S8), but what I did was to try a 3rd party launcher app. I am using Evie Launcher, this works brilliantly and doesn't completely take over the whole device like some launchers (e.g. Microsoft Launcher changes the appearance and layout of the screen totally. Not my preference).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=is.shortcut

Using this launcher, you can configure it to show icon badges with unread message counts for all relevant apps, Facebook, Messenger, Whatsapp, Email etc, regardless of notifications.

There are probably other 3rd party launcher apps that will do this, but Evie is the first one I've tried and I'm very happy with it. It's worth considering this option, but I am aware that not every solution works for everyone.

Regards,

-Russell.

RussB
Constellation

@RussB wrote:

Hello All,

The badge will only show up on an app icon when there is a corresponding notification. If you clear the notification by swiping it away, the badge and it's count within it disappears. This behaviour is intentional by design since Oreo, and is disliked by everybody.

Nothing that has been described has fixed this issue on my phone (Galaxy S8), but what I did was to try a 3rd party launcher app. I am using Evie Launcher, this works brilliantly and doesn't completely take over the whole device like some launchers (e.g. Microsoft Launcher changes the appearance and layout of the screen totally. Not my preference).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=is.shortcut

Using this launcher, you can configure it to show icon badges with unread message counts for all relevant apps, Facebook, Messenger, Whatsapp, Email etc, regardless of notifications.

There are probably other 3rd party launcher apps that will do this, but Evie is the first one I've tried and I'm very happy with it. It's worth considering this option, but I am aware that not every solution works for everyone.

Regards,

-Russell.

I cannot understand why all of you are saying "I tried this..." and "Try that...", as I said in my post two weeks ago, NOTHING will work by trying to change any of the phone settings, you are all just wasting your time. 

I fixed the problem completely by using Evie, a third party launcher app with a similar home screen to the original. This has a few advantages over the Samsung 'Touch-Wiz' user interface, mainly, in this case, badge count notifications work exactly as they should. Also you can back up your home screen layout to your Google account, which you can restore in case you screw up your layout that you spent so much time to perfect. It also has home screen protect, preventing unintential swipes from shifting icons around or accidentally deleting them. 

If instead, you want to continually and pointlessly faff around playing with the settings in an attempt to make icon badges work, then feel free to go ahead and play!! 

userLKuUYToNTB
Constellation

Did u find out anything? I cant tell from my Icons when I have anything new?

Please advise.

userT4SqlG2TtQ
Constellation

I am using S9 plus and i just hate this option because sometimes when you are in a meeting you just clear notifications from homescreen , and check later !! 

But in S9 plus once you clear it , its gone Smiley Sad 

I hope this issue is resolved soon 

userqUflgIa2uK
Constellation

Not great news, at least I know that in not the only one having this problem. I seem to remember this issue on one of my old S series that was resloved after a while.

userqUflgIa2uK
Constellation

Noticed that Facebook app on homescreen didn't show counter but one in the app drawer did. Deleted on homescreen, replaced with other app and now have a counter. Very odd.