cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user9JR4qzd8UE
Constellation

Once a phone is unlocked who does the software updates?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recently purchased a used Galaxy S9 that was unlocked (note: I'm not sure if this was originally purchased unlocked from Samsung, or a carrier model that was unlocked . Model number is SM-G960U).  I now have the phone on AT&T.  Who does the software updates in this situation?  If I try manually checking for an update I get that it is up to date.  Same if I check via Smartswitch. But this doesn't make sense to me as the security patch is from November, and it is running Oreo (Android 8), not Pie.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
likwidkool
Constellation

Re: Once a phone is unlocked who does the software updates?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unlocked phones get updates through Samsung. Carrier phones that were unlocked still get the updates from that carrier.

Not sure though why you'd still be on such an old update though.

8 REPLIES 8
Chad1276
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung, from what i read in the past the unlocked phones are usually the last to get software updates unfortunately

likwidkool
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unlocked phones get updates through Samsung. Carrier phones that were unlocked still get the updates from that carrier.

Not sure though why you'd still be on such an old update though.

user9JR4qzd8UE
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to check, so when a carrier phone is unlocked the initial carrier does the updates.  Or the new carrier?

(This phone appears to initially be on Sprint, and I have the phone on AT&T now.  So if I'm reading you correctly it is Sprint who does the updates)

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user9JR4qzd8UE wrote:

Just to check, so when a carrier phone is unlocked the initial carrier does the updates.  Or the new carrier?

(This phone appears to initially be on Sprint, and I have the phone on AT&T now.  So if I'm reading you correctly it is Sprint who does the updates)

If you buy your phone through your carrier as a carrier version phone then unlock it then it will still get updates through your carrier

Fire-Nation
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does it lock your phone to update it from them though?

Samsung_g8ibGsZ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ooops my mistake.....

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you're on an unlocked device, Samsung pushes out your update. Not your carrier. If it isn't available via Smart Switch, there's no update. Shameful but true.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not Samsung obviously lol. Still on may security patch and it's August