cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

OneDrive - Samsung merge... fears & questions

To Samsung:  YOU REALLY NEED BETTER, MORE THOROUGH INSTRUCTIONS!

To the community: 

-I have S9

-My photos are synced to OneDrive, Google Photos and SamsungCloud (but I reached my limit in SamS so there are more photos in OneDrive than SSCloud). Yes, super redundant, but it's just what happened.

-QUESTION: If I merge, per SS's instructions, SSCloud with OneDrive, will I wind up with duplicates of all the photos in SSCloud?  IOW, I assume SS has no way of knowing that a photo in the SSCloud is already in OneDrive. One poster had this very problem with duplicates and it makes sense to me that duplicates would happen.

-QUESTION: If duplicates will occur after merging accounts, then should I delete all my photos in SamsungCloud BEFORE merging with OneDrive, and then do the merge?  Is this the "best plan" for this issue? 

-QUESTION: If the above is the best plan, when I take the fist step and delete all the photos from SSCloud, will they then disappear from Gallery on my S9? (I want to know so that I can monitor expected behavior.) If so, once I merge the (empty) SS account with OneDrive, will all the photos that were already in OneDrive now show up in Gallery?

I don't understand what will happen to Gallery vs. OneDrive photos. After the merge, won't the

Gallery App and OneDrive Photos app (see pic) be redundant?Screenshot_20200909-120122_One UI Home.jpg 

There have to be thousands, like me, with duplicate photos from (Samsung Cloud [Gallery] and OneDrive.  I've laid out a possible plan above but I'm only guessing. 

HELP! 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: OneDrive - Samsung merge... fears & questions

@UserABF wrote:

I don't understand what will happen to Gallery vs. OneDrive photos. After the merge, won't the

Gallery App and OneDrive Photos app (see pic) be redundant?Screenshot_20200909-120122_One UI Home.jpg 

Gallery only shows photos on your device. OneDrive could have thousands more that aren't currently on your drive but are accessible in the cloud. So they aren't really redundant. If the internet isn't accessible, you will still be able to get to the photos in Gallery even though you won't have access to OneDrive. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks. I did know that Gallery was "local," but I guess I didn't make clear that I assumed Gallery was the source for photos that are saved in SSCloud... which begs the questions, does Gallery sync with SScloud, both ways?  If I delete photos in SScloud, will the be deleted from Gallery as well?  I suppose I could test this.  

My main questions remains, how does the merge work?  What's the best way to approach it? 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@UserABF wrote:

Thanks. I did know that Gallery was "local," but I guess I didn't make clear that I assumed Gallery was the source for photos that are saved in SSCloud... 

Gallery isn't the "source" of the photos. Gallery is just an application which shows the photos on your device. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

So what is the source? Is it actually coming from My FIles>DCIM...etc. 

Per Samsung... "Samsung Cloud acts as the last line of defense for all your files in the Gallery. From formal photos to silly selfies, you can set the Gallery to automatically sync to Samsung Cloud."  

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@UserABF wrote:

So what is the source? Is it actually coming from My FIles>DCIM...etc. 

Yes

Per Samsung... "Samsung Cloud acts as the last line of defense for all your files in the Gallery. From formal photos to silly selfies, you can set the Gallery to automatically sync to Samsung Cloud."  

No mystery here. Gallery is an application which accesses that directory, and others that you specify, to display your photos. That app has the ability to sync with Samsung Cloud.