cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Phone keeps turning off when phone is inactive

Hi,

So I read a thread that addressed this issue.  I've had my Galaxy S9 for a year and a half and just this past weekend the phone would start randomly turning off and restarting which caused me to miss alarms and caused general inconveniences.  Before I found the thread that addressed the particular issue, I tried all the "fixes" including soft reset, using safe mode, clearing cache, deleting apps, and then fully factory resetting.  After every "fix" the porblem persisted.  I then realized it DID have something to do with having the fingerprint scanner active.  Turning off the fingerprint scanner did indeed prevent the phone from turning off randomly.  I also discovered that when have the fingerpront scanner ON, that sometimes with the "Always on Display" I could still use the fingerprint scanner without the phone turning off as the screen would not be totally inactive, although I did have spells of random restarting, but less frequent.  Is there a fix for this bug?  I see this issue spanning back to last year in the other post.  I also would've loved to discover this fix before doing my full factory reset.  Please help!!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Phone keeps turning off when phone is inactive

I am having the same exact issue.

Highlighted
Constellation

so does ur phone power off randomly and doesnt turn on when fingerprint scanner is set?

Highlighted
Constellation

The phone will turn off after the phone screen goes inactive for about 10 seconds.  Sometimes the phone will turn off and restart, but sometimes it'll just turn off.  I turn it back on and when using it, it stays on, but once you turn the screen off the problem happens again.  When the "Always on Display" is on it seems to have less issues, but it definitely still does it at times.  The only resolution i've seen that works is turning off the fingerprint sensor, but that makes using the phone a little more inconvenient.

Highlighted
Constellation

That might be the same issue with the fingerprint scanner as the Note 9 since they share the same fingerprint scanner here is the link to that discussion: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Note-9/Phone-reboots-with-enabled-fingerprint-scanner/m-p/627772...