cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GeekTaz
Constellation

Problems with mid-February 2019 Major Update

This weekend (February 15, 2019) a major update was pushed to may T-Mobile managed Galaxy S9+. This update is rife with problems that make the phone more difficult to use and less valuable to the owner. Here is a less than comprehensive list of the poor choices Samsung made with this update and how users can survive until the Samsung devs stop smoking whatever drove them to push these changes and restore some sanity to our devices:

• The new Messaging app wastes half the screen space with a giant grey box saying "Messages" and one line of how many are unread. Not useful, not attactive.
  • Impact on the Facebook app: You can no longer search gifs. In fact, you can only use the image icon from within the message box to insert stickers. Worst. UI. Ever.
  • The new horizontal scroll is not intuitive. In EVERY OTHER PLATFORM you swipe DOWN to CLOSE a window. Samsung idiotically now has users swiping UP to close the app and down to maximize it. Please reverse this. You are causing cognitive dissonance.
  • In addition, the scroll uses too much space, though I will admit it is easier to actually see what's open. You just can't see all apps at one time, which makes "Close All" dangerous until you've swiped through the entire list of open apps. Somehow, this scroll shrinks them down to an oddly tiny size, given it still doesn't let you see everything open at one time. How about giving users a choice between this ridiculous photo carousel vs the old rolodex style stacking of tiles?
  • The new icons are childish and take up too much space. So I loaded Windows launcher on top just to get some better control of the look & feel. However, it can't change the new icons. Apparently we're stuck with those. (If I wanted my device to look/behave like an iPhone, I would've bought an iPhone.)
  • The update overwrote many of my preferences. Samsung, this is basic blocking and tackling. If I've turned off those irritating click sounds every time I touch something on the screen, leave it off when you install an update. Backing up user preferences before installing updates - translating them to the new code if necessary - then reapplying, has been around since the 1990's. This should be a no-brainer!
  • Quick access menu - the one you swipe down from the top to open. Guys, you don't need icons the size of cat heads here! I'd like my icons to stay where I left them last and this menu shouldn't take up the entire screen's real estate just to turn on my flashlight function.
  • The new Advanced notification pop ups suck. Bad. They stack on top of each other and are impossible to decode for the average human, especially because they're so small you can't see tell what the notification is, anyway. I can't close one without closing them all, and I have to chase the . If I decide to click one to the view the message, it opens the whole app quarter sized rather than just opening the freaking message. Seriously, it takes more clicks to read a text message from the notification pop up than it does to just open the messaging app. (Please put the old messaging app back, by the way. Why did you have to break something that worked well the way it was?) Of course, it's hard to find the notifications icons because they blend right into the rest of the icons on the screen. Big fail here, Samsung. Do you not test this stuff before you release it?

Dear Samsung, here's a tip. Call the old Microsoft devs who bailed after Satya took over and killed the Windows Phone program. They knew how to design user-friendly interfaces, just got hosed on the marketing budget before getting kicked to the curb. In all reality, they had built a superior phone experience and I'm quite sure could do it again given sufficient opportunity.

Taz
13 REPLIES 13
userzsSYr4cmea
Astronaut

Re: Problems with mid-February 2019 Major Update

Have you also noticed your privacy settings got changed??  Yup, the update did that too.  

And how about the overwhelming urge of the messaging app to have my contacts know when I read their messages?  Get bugged about that every single time I open messages.  

Concur, hire the window phone dev team.  Or at least figure out that no matter how good your screen is, thousands of tiny bits of information are in fact only data to be ignored, not information.  Information comes in sizes and positions that you can actually read.

userNXVV11PYHd
Asteroid

It also appears it (the upgrade) is not compatable with the infotainment center on my new Chevy. When a call comes in, the ringer starts and will not stop until the vehicle has been turned off for a period of time. According to others, this only occurred after the update. I wish I could turn back the update.

userCnqXDMbbq1
Constellation

I have the same problem with no resolution. The only thing that has worked is to delete Android Auto. 

userODrSh3PjuB
Constellation

My husbands S9 started making calls on its own too. He could be texting someone, and when done, closes the app and turns off the screen. Before he can even put it in his pocket, next thing he knows the phone is calling the person he just texted, like me. I checked the swipe and gestures features which were turned on. I turned them off. I checked my phone and they were turned on too. I know I had them turned off prior to the update. Its annoying that the update changes the preferences you have worked hard to customize for yourself. I had my husband restart his phone. I dont know what else to do since there has been nothing on the support or community pages in referrence to the phone inadvertantly  making calls to people you just finished texting. I even had him recreat the conditions he would be in when these calls occurs. Like, how he exits the app, or holds the phone, which external buttons he pushes. But it wouldnt make the "accidental" call. Frustrating to say the least.

Bridget 

userOxEXWhHlx5
Astronaut

Um yah, where did the back button go, very disappointing and frustrating to have to use the back button in the Firefox browser or in any browser now, the split screen is gone now, or can I not find it? No explanation as to what the three bars on the bottom of screen are intended for... also Nova Launcher not cooperative with new UI... I want to throw my phone... angered to a point of buying another one, which in itself is not fun looking for something in an unlocked version where stereo speakers...I like listening to music and cannot use earbuds of headphones at work, or even want to. Very wreckless update.

userOxEXWhHlx5
Astronaut

also Samsung Pay phantom launching from bottom of screen, what a mess.

Comet

@userOxEXWhHlx5 wrote:

Um yah, where did the back button go . . . the split screen is gone now . . . No explanation as to what the three bars on the bottom of screen are intended for

The three bars are the back, recent apps, and home "buttons" for using the full-screen gestures. If you don't want to try the gestures, you can switch back to navigation bar buttons, but the bar will not auto-hide as it did under Oreo. Once you open the recent apps menu, long-press the icon at the top of one of the apps then press the split screen option, then tap the other app you want to share on the screen. Search around for guides for getting started with OneUI and save your money instead of throwing this phone away.

Dan
Galaxy S9 SM-G960U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
user33uVSR8Yff
Constellation

Is anybody else having issues with the Bixby feature as well??? I had set up Speed dial numbers  for many of my main contacts and one of the main uses I had for Bixby is to hold the botton to make Speed dial calls. Since the update, I can no longer speak to make the Speed Dial calls... I really don't know what happened there... Seems even Bixby got messed up since the update.

userRrmrd9UQJF
Astronaut

This is a horrible update. I cant even read half the things on my screen when I swipe down due to the colors being dark purple & dark grey, I think they took away SO many options in the settings menu, everything is giant an wasting space, my instagram keeps automatically updating although I have auto update off, this layout is not user friendly! Why does my messages screen have to be all white & I cant change the color? Why dont I have a dark theme anymore? The layout is garbage. Worst update.