cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icemanram
Asteroid

Ringtone reverts to silent automatically even on sound mode gs9+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello my Samsung GS9 automatically goes to silent ringtone even though sound mode is on. I have tried resetting app permissions, I have uninstalled my ring video doorbell, I have checked all the settings in the sound settings but still nothing. I really do not want to wipe my phone. When I reboot the phone the ringtone comes back, but then automatically stops on the next call. Im sure its something simple. Please help

Model SM-G965U

IMEI < Hidden >

Software version - g965usqu5csf3

Hardware Version - Rev1.1

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Ringtone reverts to silent automatically even on sound mode gs9+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

I seriously doubt that it's a virus. Too many people with the same and similar issues found with a web search. Have you tried safe mode to rule 3rd party apps that we would never suspect might be causing this? If I find something useful I'll let you know. If all else fails factory data reset and hope for the best. 

CLF 

7 REPLIES 7
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there!

I can certainly understand your frustrations regarding this. Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device? See if that helps.

Follow these steps on wiping the cache partition:

- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
- When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
- An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
- Press Power key to select.
- Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.

Your phone will take a little time booting up after the cache partition is wiped off of its contents as it will rebuild or recreate those caches. Don’t be alarmed if the phone gets stuck on the logo for a minute or two after this just don’t turn it off so that what was deleted will be replaced successfully. So, wait for your phone to become active. Don’t worry, this procedure is very easy and safe to do. You won’t damage your phone just by wiping the cache partition.

Icemanram
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

device cache wiped successfully and rebooted. The first call that came through, the ringtone worked. I tried to take a call the second time and it went right back to silent. When the phone is ringing, the slash is through the sound even though it was in sound mode previously. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

It sounds like you're sound mode is getting changed to mute. I think there are a few settings that can do that like maybe do not disturb, airplane mode, bluetooth ect. I don't really know much about them but you might want to check them. 

If nothing else clears the issue you might consider. 

Open settings/general management/reset. At the top of the list select reset settings. It's a pain to put all your settings back the way you want them but it's not as bad as a factory data reset.

CLF 

Icemanram
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried everything you stated. Everytime I restart the phone the ringtone works for a few calls and then stops. On my most recent restart, the phone kept beeping and I saw the sound icon toggle on and off all by itself? It came to back to sound on mode but the ringtone went to silent after again. I had turned off bluetooth, not in airplane mode, do not disturb is not on and I never set any times. Is it a virus? What would cause the sound icon to toggle on and off on its own? 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

I seriously doubt that it's a virus. Too many people with the same and similar issues found with a web search. Have you tried safe mode to rule 3rd party apps that we would never suspect might be causing this? If I find something useful I'll let you know. If all else fails factory data reset and hope for the best. 

CLF 

Highlighted
Icemanram
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So it appears to work fine in safe mode, looks like I have to start getting rid of apps one by one. Thanks so much for the assist.

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey,

That's good to hear. Let us know what you find. 

Thanks, 

CLF