cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9, Dictation looks good for a moment, but then changes to British spelling

Since the last system upgrade around a week ago (11/23/2020 or so), I'm having a problem when I dictate.  If I say, "I realized that my favorite color is blue" it will start out typing "I realized that" and then before it gets to the next word or so, "realized" will become "realised" and favorite and color will get a "u" in them.  For a New Yorker, this looks really pretentious if I don't correct it.  Smiley Wink

I've tried looking in numerous places for anywhere that language is suggested in settings and nothing doesn't say "English (US)".  Been searching with no luck:

• I found one place where I could set it to "System language" and tried toggling it to that and back.  No help.
  • I found one posting that suggested clearing the cache of the app "Google Text to Speech".  Didn't help.
  • Another said to try switching from Samsungs Text to Speech to Google Text to Speech.  No improvement.

It happens if I dictate a text or an email so it's not unique to either.  But if I go to Firefox and dictate into the search bar, it doesn't do it there.

Running out of ideas of places to look to fix this.  Thank you for any help.

Milo M Shapiro
19 REPLIES 19
Nebula

Re: S9, Dictation looks good for a moment, but then changes to British spelling

on you keyboard go to language and types and make sure you have it as English us

So here are all the places I've looked.

Settings/GeneralManagement/Language&Input/Language = English (United States)

Settings/GeneralManagement/Language&Input/On-ScreenKeyboard/SamsungKeyboard = Eng (US)

Settings/GeneralManagement/Language&Input/On-ScreenKeyboard/SamsungVoiceInput = Eng (US)

Settings/GeneralManagement/Language&Input/On-ScreenKeyboard/GoogleVoiceTyping = Eng (US)

That's all the places I've been able to find reference to language type.

If there's anyplace I'm missing, please be specific as to where you want me to look next.

Milo M Shapiro

NOTE: I just posted this issue on Facebook and a friend with an S9 says it's happening to him too. So this isn't just my phone. Either some setting was changed for a LOT of people or the dictionary for US seems to have been overridden by the British one.

As far as checking my settings, I would need for you to be more specific. Here are the four settings that I have found to look at:

Settings~GeneralManagement~Language&Input~Language says "English (United States)"

Settings~GeneralManagement~Language&Input~On-ScreenKeyboard~SamsungKeyboard says "English (United States)"

Settings~GeneralManagement~Language&Input~On-ScreenKeyboard~SamsungVoiceInput says "English (United States)"

Settings~GeneralManagement~Language&Input~On-ScreenKeyboard~GoogleVoiceTyping says "English (United States)"

If there's any other places I should be looking, please make suggestions with the steps as I've shown them so it's really clear. Thank you!

Milo M Shapiro
Nebula

why I can't see your post here only in notice

that's very strange!  I wrote a thorough response on my computer and clicked reply .  but it does seem to have disappeared!  I'm not sure what you mean by "only in notice" but did you see what I said about finding four places that it DOES say "English (US)" and not finding any that are wrong?   And that I posted on FB about this and a friend tried it on his S9 and said the same thing is happening to him?

Milo M Shapiro

I don't understand what's happening in this forum.  I log in, I write a post to you, I click reply, and it disappears.  Trying again now as a test, after logging out and back in .

Milo M Shapiro

A big thank you to the moderator who so quickly solved my non-offensive post being somehow banned as unacceptable...and reinstating all my posts above (wish I could delete the now-irrelevant ones about that problem).   Hoping, now that my post is visible, that Wassim or someone else can help resolve the original problem about British spelling. 

The fact that it's happening to my friend in another city too, though, makes me think this is a system problem...not just my phone.  Rebooted the phone just now to see if that would help, but it didn't.

Milo M Shapiro
Nebula

try to clear cache on the samsung keyboard

If I go to Settings/GeneralManagement/Language&Input/On-ScreenKeyboard/SamsungKeyboard ,

I see "Languages and Types", "Smart Typing," and more, but there's no option to "clear cache".  Can you please be very specific as to where I should do that?

Milo M Shapiro