Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OrdinaryGeekSF
Asteroid

S9+ Fingerprint Unlock Not Working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi.

I just picked up my S9+ on Saturday (2 days ago), and I'm noticing that the fingerprint sensor largely does not work to unlock the phone. It works OCCASIONALLY, but honestly, it DOESN'T work more than it DOES. I've deleted & re-added my fingerprints, followed the steps in this troubleshooting guide:  https://www.megebyte.com/how-to-fix-fingerprint-sensor-not-working-issue-on-galaxy-s9-plus/, but it still works only intermittently at best. When I go into Settings, I can see that it DETECTS my fingerprints; It knows the sensor is being touched. It just won't work for unlocking the device. Do I need to return/exchange this unit?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OrdinaryGeekSF
Asteroid

Re: S9+ Fingerprint Unlock Not Working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Stumbled over the solution to this one, so I thought I'd share. This turns out to be a setting (a questionable one, as its default behavior leads the user to believe that the device is not functioning properly, so maybe they should reconsider it): If you go to Settings > Lock Screen and Security > Secure Lock Settings > Secured Lock Time, and select "Instantly with the Power key or when the screen times out", this will, ultimately, make your fingerprint sensor work for unlocking the device every time. Basically, though the screen turns OFF with the Power key, or timing out, it only actually LOCKS after a designated period of time. I noticed that if I picked my phone up after a while (like an hour or more), and tried to unlock it with my fingerprint, it would work, but if I turned the screen off, put it down for a minute (or a few minutes), and picked it back up, I COULDN'T unlock it with my fingerprint. At the same time, I noticed that my fingerprint ALWAYS worked with Samsung Pay, Android Pay, authenticating into various apps, etc. So I knew the sensor WORKED; It just wouldn't work for UNLOCKING the phone. So, tonight, when I had a moment to think clearly about it, I thought "This seems to be more of a timeout/interval-related thing", and set about looking for the appropriate setting. Once I thought in these terms, I found the setting. This is a strange way to have it set out of the box, as it's unlike the behavior of fingerprint sensors on other devices (on those, the screen turns off, and you unlock it IMMEDIATELY with your fingerprint). I certainly believed there to be a problem. So much so that I RETURNED my first device, and exchanged it for another one (and that was A LOT of trouble. And TIME). Now I know that there was not really a problem with the first one. It's set to behave this way ON PURPOSE (ill-advisedly, but on purpose, nonetheless). And I know I'm not the only person to interpret this as a problem, either, as I've seen this issue reported here & elsewhere by others. In any case, it's fixed. My next task is to figure out why I can currently only receive text messages from people on the same carrier as me (AT&T). All other messages seem to get lost in the ether. Perhaps this is a setting, too (If it is, it's a very stupid one). Will look into it. I hope my explanation here helps some of you.

11 REPLIES 11
OrdinaryGeekSF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Didn't work, unfortunately. I even went so far as to replace the device (it was purchased at Best Buy, and I was within the first 14 days, so I could), and the new device is having the SAME PROBLEM. Fingerprint sensor only works (to unlock the phone) about 20% of the time. It works for Samsung Pay, Google Pay, logging into My AT&T, etc. Just not for unlocking the phone. This is kind of unacceptable. A fingerprint sensor is a basic function of a smartphone, and I'm amazed that Samsung can't get this right. I've had MUCH cheaper phones where this is not an issue. I hope they issue a fix for this. Otherwise, I just may switch.

OrdinaryGeekSF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Stumbled over the solution to this one, so I thought I'd share. This turns out to be a setting (a questionable one, as its default behavior leads the user to believe that the device is not functioning properly, so maybe they should reconsider it): If you go to Settings > Lock Screen and Security > Secure Lock Settings > Secured Lock Time, and select "Instantly with the Power key or when the screen times out", this will, ultimately, make your fingerprint sensor work for unlocking the device every time. Basically, though the screen turns OFF with the Power key, or timing out, it only actually LOCKS after a designated period of time. I noticed that if I picked my phone up after a while (like an hour or more), and tried to unlock it with my fingerprint, it would work, but if I turned the screen off, put it down for a minute (or a few minutes), and picked it back up, I COULDN'T unlock it with my fingerprint. At the same time, I noticed that my fingerprint ALWAYS worked with Samsung Pay, Android Pay, authenticating into various apps, etc. So I knew the sensor WORKED; It just wouldn't work for UNLOCKING the phone. So, tonight, when I had a moment to think clearly about it, I thought "This seems to be more of a timeout/interval-related thing", and set about looking for the appropriate setting. Once I thought in these terms, I found the setting. This is a strange way to have it set out of the box, as it's unlike the behavior of fingerprint sensors on other devices (on those, the screen turns off, and you unlock it IMMEDIATELY with your fingerprint). I certainly believed there to be a problem. So much so that I RETURNED my first device, and exchanged it for another one (and that was A LOT of trouble. And TIME). Now I know that there was not really a problem with the first one. It's set to behave this way ON PURPOSE (ill-advisedly, but on purpose, nonetheless). And I know I'm not the only person to interpret this as a problem, either, as I've seen this issue reported here & elsewhere by others. In any case, it's fixed. My next task is to figure out why I can currently only receive text messages from people on the same carrier as me (AT&T). All other messages seem to get lost in the ether. Perhaps this is a setting, too (If it is, it's a very stupid one). Will look into it. I hope my explanation here helps some of you.

useri4FBcDczA6
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It worked!  Thank you!

userhRc7D3zcpg
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I discovered another culprit.

Nova Launcher Prime.

There is an option in Advanced that explicitly turns on this behavior.

Just turn it off.

This had caused the problem for me.

userQ7Vf8FZvQ9
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The solutions to this issue sound great, but Ican't back in to change settings. It's also locked me out with Iris, finger print, and more recently my pin. Works for a month or so, then won't. I can't make calls, access contacts, check email or messaging. It will receive calls. I tried pulling up http://findmymobil.samsung.com to try to unlock it online, but the site won't open. I'm turning rom a Samsung love to a hater!  HELP!!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userQ7Vf8FZvQ9 can I please get your full model number, baseband version, and carrier?

userRUeBduMvd9
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Imei: <hidden>

S/N:<hidden>

SAMSUNG J6 POWERED BY KNOX

2018 MODEL

Fingerprint scanner inoperative please assist 

userZjzWi00c4i
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

im having the problem im am locked out phone telling me to input my pattern and then the biometric another time for my security

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userZjzWi00c4i Just to clarify are you completely locked out of your device? You can try  https://findmymobile.samsung.com/ if you have a Samsung or Google account attached to your device. However, once you reset the information allow 24 hours for the reset to finalize before trying to log back into your device.