JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S9+ No sound with notifications

(Topic created: 03-14-2018 10:07 AM)
userj02WOGVH4P
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

New s9+ I do not get any sound from my notifications.  There is nothing blocked and all permissions are given... please help...

JUMP TO SOLUTION
userJdnmqyPsdB
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

No sound with text messages 

0 Likes
userU4jwa8001F
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Had the same issue then noticed that this had only happend after I had activated Bluetooth, I disabled Bluetooth and notification sounds worked, after that I enabled Bluetooth and everything was ok

this was on a Galaxy S9

WhatTheBlur
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Replying to the original post: none of the suggestions in this thread work or apply to me. I do get notifications but every morning the volume is turned down to zero and I have to set it to desired volume manually. I have a time period set for Do Not Disturb but that does not seem related. What can cause this? 

userCIeBS4CWCT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Since the last update to my phone two days ago, I have joined the obviously large group of people experiencing the issue of no alerts to new texts or to actually any notification in the drop-down menu or sounds when receiving a new text message. I have searched through Google for any solution and found this thread. I have tried everything listed in this thread and watched the video. I have had a very knowledgeable Samsung expert look at my phone and a solution was not found. Samsung, get your act together and fix this issue! I said once that I would not buy Samsung products again because of the lack of customer service. I had a "Samsung appliance" home but no more. the quality of their hardware/software and the lack of customer support has turned me off of anything with the Samsung logo.

Kenlight
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had this same issue and I finally found a solution. The latest update to my Galaxy Wearable (Gear S3) app on my Samsung S9 had a new feature. The feature is "Mute connected phone" and it is in the Notifications options in Galaxy Wearable app. It was checked by default. I just unchecked it and my notifications now work. I don't know how many of you have a Gear Watch, but if you do, this might be a solution. I found it by going through every app (and deleting many) to see what could possibly be conflicting with the notification sound. 

userhmCaKVRAjd
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I SOLVED THIS!!!  I spent DAYS trying to figure this out (thanks pandemic!), and finally found a solution, so I wanted to pass along my results! 

The LED for new emails hadn't been showing up for a while, but I chalked it up to a glitch in yahoo mail app, and since I always have ipad/desktop on, it didn't really both me.  But then a couple of weeks ago... no LED for new texts!  And then last week... no vibrate for calendar alarms!  (I use Dejaoffice)  That's when it obviously became a huge problem.

Like most people, I started trying to determine what was wrong with Android (since numerous people cited problems after the last update), then each app, but none of the fixes worked.  I read your post and many others and tried configuring every setting - nothing! 

So instead of researching what was going on with Android or the specific apps, I tried a new angle: research issues with Samsung, since those updates are separate from Android.  I searched for issues with ALL notifications on the S9.   It wasn't until I did a deep dive on the Samsung message boards and read that apparently Samsung didn't configure the LED lights in recent updates because newer models don't use them.  Now I looked at this problem in a more global way.  It's NOT the apps - it's Samsung updates causing the conflict. 

Someone on the boards mentioned using a third party launcher, so I researched and found LIGHT FLOW on a list of top launchers.  I started with another one, NOVA LAUNCHER, but that wasn't super easy to use.  I chose Light Flow because, on the list, the others only controlled LED and not vibrate, and LF controls both.  BUT it took a minute to configure, so I def wanted to post those specs (below) so no one has to jump through hoops like I did. 

First I paid for the premium version (a paltry $2.49), only to download and have the app direct me to the free "legacy" version as the one that is most compatible for the S9 (other phone brands may require premium).  After doing some configuring in the app and testing a few times, it IS FABULOUS!  It's been 24 hours and all of my notifications have worked!  YEAH! 

Here are my notes to configure LF:

1) BIG note: you must ENABLE the app - it asks you to do this when it launches, and when the screen pops up, you must scroll down and slide the Light Flow app to ON.  If for some reason you miss it on the launch, then TO CONFIGURE: Launch the app > tap 2 bars on upper left corner > Settings > general settings > check Enable Light Flow.

2) It needs to be in Priority Mode.  TO CONFIGURE: Launch the app > tap 2 bars on upper left corner > Settings > general settings > check Show LED in priority mode. 

3) MUST IMPORTANT SETTING: Run In Foreground - this is a key setting because when I didn't have it checked, my tests didn't work.  TO CONFIGURE: Launch the app > tap 2 bars on upper left corner > Settings > persistent icon > check Run in foreground.  NOTE: this means the Light flow icon is always at the top of the screen, but I'll take it to get my notifications! 

4) Then you add/delete any apps that you want to control the notifications.  For example, Dejaoffice wasn't in the default list, so TO CONFIGURE: Launch the app > tap 2 bars on upper left corner > tap Notification settings > tap + at bottom right of screen >tap For an installed app > check deja office (or any other app you want to control).

Once the app is added to the notification settings list, tap the 3 dots on right side of the name > tap Settings.   From there, you customize.  For any notifications that you need when the phone is asleep (I'm guessing that's most of them, kind of the point of notifications), you need to check the Exclude From Sleep Mode in the settings FOR EACH APP.

I played around with the individual app notification settings - it offers a lot of good options!  You can control all aspects of the LED color, vibrations, sound etc. 

This is all more than I ever wanted to know about my phone and super annoying, but quarantine has allowed me to tackle this kind of mundane stuff.  Hopefully this post will save others the heartache!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I struggled with this but found that in sounds and vibration settings the notification sound setting was set to silent. You have to turn it on in so many places it us not very intuitive.

0 Likes
Samsung_o0URzqU
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I would love to update my cell services

0 Likes
userC1qBikRaQm
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Just going to share something silly that "fixed" mine. When i pressed the volume key, tap the arrow down button and the different sounds show up...mine was all the way down. Dont know how but it fixed my problem.

Triedit
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you, for your comment but as silly as you discriped it, it worked! yey!!! I tried every thing else listed in this discussion and this is what worked for me; the volume was all the way down to zero. S9