Original topic:

S9 Plus Face unlock when eyes are closed

(Topic created: 03-29-2018 10:45 PM)
userPgzejSIFfN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi,

Anyone facing this issue in S9 Plus - when using the face unlock, the phone unlocks even when eyes are closed?

Even when Iris scan is enabled, it unlocks when eyes are closed.

-S
userPgzejSIFfN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

yea i want to enable face unlock because its convenient ... but then i need to be careful to turn it off whenever i am travelling or at another place.  with time, i rather not use it at all! .. this is disappointing

even the new OnePlus has a face unlock which detects that eyes are open 🙂

-S
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userPgzejSIFfN take what @Geno71 said to heart. And don't fall asleep with your phone out? I mean this seems kind like a non issue. Face unlocking isn't reliable whatsoever if you're seeking security. If you want something cool to impress your friends, or are at home instead of Smart Lock, go for it.

0 Likes
userPgzejSIFfN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

i dont think its about being cool. Detecting whether the eyes are open is a basic scenario for Face unlock. Brands like OnePlus, LG, HTC have already proved it can be done, and done sensibly. These are brands which got it working even with a basic camera setup.

The other bummer in S9 is that the IntelliScan switches between face unlock and Iris instead of having it work together. This approach bypasses the Iris scan if a face is available (which works with eyes closed too) 

Well I got your point though. It is what it is with the S9. 

-S
user4KkuTp2TxR
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
"As a user, i would expect that face unlock is implemented with practical scenarios in mind. Any user will never unlock his phone with their eyes closed." Agree. This is my greatest disappointment about Samsung.
0 Likes
userimuGpAQb6g
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

In the phone settings it says, Intelligent Sacan Unlock "Unlock your phone using COMBINATED Face and iris scanning", but this is only using face, all this at Intelligent Scan settings.

Also, in Screen Lock Type settings on Intelligent scan, says, Use face and iris recognition TOGETHER for better acuracy and security.

So, it seems it is an issue on the phone system, becuase should use both, not only one, what happend if somebody have a similar face than me, he will be able to unlock the phone without my autorization, this is mentioned when you set the face recognition

0 Likes
useru1tTMKVuMF
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

People in abusive situations for one. It's more common than you might think. Also, for innocent minorities accused if crimes. With this feature someone just needs to be near you and get a hand on your phone.

0 Likes
uservmcjJZxSEU
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have also the same comment on faceid unlock the phone even eyes are closed.

Which means anyone can just open my mobile when i am sleeping also.

Do you have any solution(only for Face id, don't suggest me to use finger print)so as to increase the security of mobile?

0 Likes
uservmcjJZxSEU
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is happening on new note9

0 Likes
uservmcjJZxSEU
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is happening on new note9

0 Likes
useroNY6bxexl6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is not solution, Samsung need to improve to match others. They have not even added raise to wakeup feature which is pretty basic.

0 Likes