cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userFj9xnMV9i2
Asteroid

S9'S. Both are identical and one is not getting any updates.

My wife and I both purchased Galaxy s9 at the same time from Cricket and November of 2018. Since that time my phone has received multiple updates both security and Android P. Her phone has not received any security updates and a still stuck on Android O. Samsung said it was due to carrier. however I have installed smart switch on a PC and it shows that there are no system updates available for her phone.(  Running a September 2018 version and Android O). There have been multiple updates since then and my phone is running  Android P with a security patch from June 2019. It seems as if her phone is broken somehow. It is still under warranty am I able to get a new phone for this or will Samsung reinstall some sort of software that will work in the phone as the hardware is not the problem.

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: S9'S. Both are identical and one is not getting any updates.

You should talk to Cricket. When it checks for an update it uses the phone's IMEI to look at the carrier's database to see if an update is available. If the IMEI isn't in the correct table at the carrier you won't see that updates are available.

userFj9xnMV9i2
Asteroid

I have talked to cricket they said they have no way to push update and that the problem is on Samsung's end. When I talk to Samsung customer service they said that I should be able to update via smart switch regardless of carrier involvement.  I have no authority or means to make Cricket put this phone on any table. is this phone still under warranty and can Samsung do anything on their end to make sure my phone receives the update. Such as a 3-way call. Can I send phone into Samsung or have Samsung used their communication with carrier to put phone on table?

Neutron Star

@userFj9xnMV9i2 wrote:

I have talked to cricket they said they have no way to push update and that the problem is on Samsung's end. When I talk to Samsung customer service they said that I should be able to update via smart switch regardless of carrier involvement.  I have no authority or means to make Cricket put this phone on any table. is this phone still under warranty and can Samsung do anything on their end to make sure my phone receives the update. Such as a 3-way call. Can I send phone into Samsung or have Samsung used their communication with carrier to put phone on table?

1) If your wife's phone is unlocked, try to remove the sim, restart the phone and check for update.

2) Inserting another carrier's sim card, might help, try that

3) Your phone should periodically do backups, check to make sure it is there.

4) If 2 other steps didn't help, you can remove the sim and try factory resetting device and once it comes back, skip through setup process without restoring device yet. Check for update.  You can restore from settings or reset device again to bring up restore option

userFj9xnMV9i2
Asteroid

I have tried all options short of sticking and another carrier SIM card which I am unable to do. If the problem is on Cricket then I don't see how sticking in an unrelated SIM card would help. Surely the phone wouldn't be on the other carriers table since it was purchased directly from cricket. I have also tried to update this phone via Smart Switch. since I am unable to push update directly through Samsung through Samsung software am I able to get Samsung to honor warranty for this phone an update device? Or are no software promises made I have had this phone and it has never received a security update or software update of any kind.

Neutron Star

@userFj9xnMV9i2 wrote:

I have tried all options short of sticking and another carrier SIM card which I am unable to do. If the problem is on Cricket then I don't see how sticking in an unrelated SIM card would help. Surely the phone wouldn't be on the other carriers table since it was purchased directly from cricket. I have also tried to update this phone via Smart Switch. since I am unable to push update directly through Samsung through Samsung software am I able to get Samsung to honor warranty for this phone an update device? Or are no software promises made I have had this phone and it has never received a security update or software update of any kind.

Go here, create new thread and explain your situation:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9/help

Samsung Care Ambassador

Cricket is owned by AT&T. Any firmware update by Google first goes to Samsung so that Samsung can customize for the device. Then Samsung sends the update to AT&T for their (Cricket) customizations. AT&T/Cricket posts the firmware on their site and allows devices known to them to access and retreive the updates. If Cricket doesn't have the phone properly registered, the phone can not receive the updates. 

userFj9xnMV9i2
Asteroid

I understand that the problem May lie on Cricket. I bought this phone new directly through them. However when I call them and talk to them they say the problem lies on Samsung. As a consumer I am powerless to make cricket update phone. I am simply asking if it is possible for Samsung and Cricket to talk to each other so my phone can get updated as the communication between Samsung and Cricket is not optimal and the sole reason you are saying that my phone is not getting updated. Also is Smart switch dependent upon carrier? Because phone won't update through Smart switch or over the air. However my phone which is identical and shipped with other phone updates both over the air and through Smart switch.

It could be a fake Samsung Galaxy S9. I seen videos on Yo...

It could be a fake Samsung Galaxy S9. I seen videos on YouTube that people think that they have the real one. But then they realize that they don't. Make sure that it a true Samsung Galaxy S9

userFj9xnMV9i2
Asteroid

Re: It could be a fake Samsung Galaxy S9. I seen videos on Yo...

It's a real I bought it directly from cricket and Samsung acknowledges it is still under warranty. They won't acknowledge any responsibility for phone receiving updates. They say that Cricket should be supplying all that even though smart switch doesn't work either. And of course cricket says Samsung should be supplying. I thought that was the whole point of smart switch to bypass carrier problems. I guess the iPhone is still relevant as far as the only viable option for updates in 2019.