cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user3CVeVYlCK1
Constellation

Re: S9 Smart unlock by location not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

how do i set up the locations in my house?

userhuYt6DQkMH
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK, I've got this problem for months and it seems I have found out my way to solve it after trying all the suggestions above and more. Maybe it will help you as well.

It seems that the location-based smart lock works only when only one (current) of your Google-logged-on-phones is allowing the location services and history. I have a second phone (no Samsung) which I use only as a backup now, but I forgot about it as I shut it down. Now:

1. Take your current main device: go to Settings -> Google -> Localisation -> Google Localisation History and tick only your current, main device, disable the others, both old phones and the old locks of your current device.

2. Take your old phone, go down the same path but disable that old device.

Part 1 of this tutorial I have found somewhere on the web and it did not work. Then I figured that the old device might still have itself locked on the function, so I did what I described in part 2 and yay! Works! After months of frustration! Of course there is no guarantee it is not going to trouble me again tomorrow, we'll see.

Hope this works at least for some of you Smiley Happy

Cheers from Kraków

Tomek Darda

user2JA2m36tVi
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userhuYt6DQkMH wrote:

OK, I've got this problem for months and it seems I have found out my way to solve it after trying all the suggestions above and more. Maybe it will help you as well.

It seems that the location-based smart lock works only when only one (current) of your Google-logged-on-phones is allowing the location services and history. I have a second phone (no Samsung) which I use only as a backup now, but I forgot about it as I shut it down. Now:

1. Take your current main device: go to Settings -> Google -> Localisation -> Google Localisation History and tick only your current, main device, disable the others, both old phones and the old locks of your current device.

2. Take your old phone, go down the same path but disable that old device.

Part 1 of this tutorial I have found somewhere on the web and it did not work. Then I figured that the old device might still have itself locked on the function, so I did what I described in part 2 and yay! Works! After months of frustration! Of course there is no guarantee it is not going to trouble me again tomorrow, we'll see.

Hope this works at least for some of you Smiley Happy

Cheers from Kraków

Tomek Darda

HOLY, THIS WORKED FOR ME!! I had an old Android phone (non-Samsung) that I used my Google account with. It's been turned off in my house for over a week since I got my S9 and Smart Lock would not work AT ALL on my S9 until I did step 1 of your solution, didn't even have to do Step 2 since it's turned off.

useruaYoC8aS69
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yup this worked for me!

useruhqCervubx
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Chatted with a Samsung+ person, and told them I've tried restarting in safe mode, adding additional locations, deleting and re-adding locations, and other things with it only working for a bit, and always stopped working when travelling out of and back into a trusted location.

They told me to do a "wipe partition cache", and so far so good. Sounded scary, but it essentially just clears the cache completely, I think more so than just clearing the cache of individual apps or in the storage settings does.

Power off the phone, hold the bixby button, volume up, and then the power button. Once it starts, release the power button. Then use the volume keys to navigate to wipe cache partition, and the power button to confirm, then reboot the phone. I think the instructions to do this are different if you have a different Galaxy phone, mine is an S9 with that stupid Bixby button.

Hopefully that helps someone else, I'll report back in a day and see if this is still working.

useruhqCervubx
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update to my previous post above. After charging my phone overnight, it required the usual password after four hours of inactivity. My location has been the same since the previous fix. After that, it wouldn't unlock via "Smart Lock" until I did the wipe cache partition thing again, so unfortunately this wasn't permanent either.

Pretty much ready to give up on this feature at this point. I might chat with Samsung again, but I doubt it'll help.

userWv4uTEAkJq
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is not solved. mine does 5he same thing.  Am I suppose to add a location for ecery room in my house???

userHV2iyugvzT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This doesn't work for me. I had 6 locations set in my house and after setting a location and not moving from that spot it still doesn't work. My phone has been updated and restarted. I've deleted all locations and entered them back in no luck.

userBY3qTVPlOk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have more than 8 and I live in a 1200 square foot condo. My BED shouldn't need more than one coordinate!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having this problem too