cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

S9+ Storage Space Mysteriously Disappeared

Hello,

I woke up this morning and received a notification on my Samsung S9+ indicating that my phone was running out of space (63.8GB/64.0GB). This should not be the case, as I had at least 15GB of free space just last month and haven't done anything with the phone that would consume this space, like take pictures or download music. When I view my device's storage from Device Care, I see:

Documents: 31.1MB

Videos: 10.8GB

Audio: 12.1GB

Apps: 4.7GB (this "Apps" number was only 2GB earlier this morning when I first started looking into this issue, and I haven't changed anything with the phone...)

TOTAL = 33.5GB

Yet when I tap "Advanced" from the Storage screen under Device Care, I see numbers that are wholly inconsistent with what is above:

System memory: 11.8GB

Photos and videos: 17.7GB

Music and audio: 12.7GB

Games: 27.6MB

Secure Folder: 421MB

Movie and TV apps: 166MB

Other Apps: 22.6GB

Files: 5.2GB

TOTAL = 70.6GB (this is more than the total storage space on the phone, so something must be getting double-counted)

I have read around on these forums for suggestions on troubleshooting this issue, but none of them work.

-I've force-stopped and cleared the cache of the Samsung Members app

-I've checked certain apps to ensure that they're not holding on to old files in the trash bin

-I've tried optimizing my device using Device Care

How can I recover the space on my phone that has mysteriously been eaten up? Any troubleshooting assistance would be greatly appreciated. Device details are below.

Thank you!

Model #: SM-G965U

Carrier: AT&T

Version: 10

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: S9+ Storage Space Mysteriously Disappeared

Hello, I saw your post as I am having similar issue (Galaxy Dash J2).  So it seems to impact many of the Samsung phones.  I haven't seen a clear answer yet. But in another post "Storage Space 'Other' Filling"

you may find some additional information.   Your post called out many of the Todo-tasks... another item related to an app called VisionProvider-ties-to-Bixby.  It can't be uninstalled and seems to hold data even after a delete.  I'm still looking around to get a clearer picture of what the hidden data in Other is.  Some state Android system takes up various amount; however, I haven't gotten a size.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for the input. I did refer to the thread you mention in troubleshooting, but none of the proposed solutions worked for me.

This issue remains outstanding.

Highlighted
Asteroid

...Anyone?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would like to look into this issue for you. Have you tried clearing the cache partition on your phone?

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for the reply, SamsungQue. I tried clearing the cache partition as you describe and it freed up about 500MB of space, but I'm still sitting at 63.2GB/64.0GB.

Is it normal for there to be nearly a 2x difference between the sum of used space when looking at the main storage screen of device care vs when looking at the advanced storage screen of device care?

Appreciate your jumping in with a suggestion and would welcome any other troubleshooting steps you may be able to offer.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Not that I'm aware of. Have you tried backing up your pictures to a memory card or a cloud service to help free up space on your phone?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks, SamsungQue. I have backed up a bunch of pics and what I still have on my phone are those that I want to be able to quickly reference, if needed.

So are you saying that it's not normal for there to be a nearly 2x difference between the sum of used space when looking at the main storage screen of device care vs when looking at the advanced storage screen of device care?

When I go to Device Care>Storage>Apps, there are certain apps (Pandora is an example) that do not appear when I go to Device Care>Storage>Advanced>Other apps. Why is this?

Also, the majority of apps do appear in both places, but their numbers are different. For example, Snapchat, when viewing it from Device Care>Storage>Apps, occupies 509MB; however, when viewing Snapchat from Device Care>Storage>Advanced>Other apps, Snapchat occupies 473MB. Why is this?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Woke up this morning to a notification that my phone was running out of space... Again... I had transferred another 1GB of photos off the phone a few days ago to get to 62.5GB/64.0GB, downloaded an Android software update yesterday but have changed nothing else about the phone since reaching 62.5GB (have NOT taken new pictures, installed new apps, etc.), and yet the space that I cleared has been mysteriously eaten up. I'm now at 63.4GB/64.0GB...

What is going on here???