cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

S9 camera in Pro mode will not focus properly on infinity

Greetings.

I have an S9 that I've generally been very happy with.   There's one problem that I've been dealing with however that's driving me crazy.   I'm not sure if it's a bug (I think so) or if I'm doing something wrong.

When I try to set the focal point to infinity it does not work right - the image is still fairly blurry.    (I can post examples).     This is true in real time (trying to focus when viewing on screen), and on the picture itself.

Focusing on infinity works fine in other modes:

- auto-focus

- selective focus

Just not in manual-focus in Pro mode.

I'm trying to use this when doing time-lapses.    I want to set it to stay on infinite-focus, for scenery (e.g. sunset) videos, so that it doesn't sometimes change the focal point between pictures.    Setting it manually "works" in that it does stay at the same focal point - but it however is not actually *in* focus.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: S9 camera in Pro mode will not focus properly on infinity

So - I'm not  sure if this is related or not, but I just discovered that the camera app stores Pro mode pictures in internal storage, where in non-Pro mode it stores on SD card.   I have it configured to save on SD card.   So that appears to be a straight-up bug.   (I discovered as we I went to fetch some pictures to use as examples)

Highlighted
Asteroid

Here is example with auto-focus (subject is about 200 ft / 70m away) - unzoomed and then zoomed and cropped:

20200406_190841.jpg20200406_190841_zoomed.jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

... and here is the same shot in Pro mode, infinite focus:

(I tried adjusting the focus away from infinity, but it only got worse)

20200406_191012.jpg20200406_191012_zoomed.jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

No one?   Still hoping for a solution to this!  I love using my phone for time lapses, but it just doesn't work well for sunset or sunrise like this, since it can't stay focused on infinity.   Any help would be much appreciated!

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you tried force stopping and clearing the cache and data for your camera app?

Go to settings > apps > tap on camera > tap on force stop > tap on storage and clear the cache and data

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for you help.   I tried that just now - no luck; same result.

Any other thoughts?

FYI I saved a video of my efforts that I can post to youtube if you'd like.

It looks like the software is applying the end-of-range "stop" too soon there, before the focal point actually gets to infinity, even though the controls say it's on infinity.  (It even briefly flashes some green hightlights in the picture - apparently as s signal that it thinks it got to infinity, even though it didn't.)

Thanks.

Highlighted
Asteroid

P.S. I was doing some thinking on this.   FYI I'm an engineer with software background, and here's my conjecture on what's going wrong - 

I'm guessing this is a low-level command thing in the camera's API, rather than an app thing, since it's broken both in the Samsumg Photo app as well as the LapseIt Pro timelapse app.  Presumably they are both telling the camera controller "focus on infinity", but the camera controller software doesn't correctly understand what infinity is - somehow the range is set wrong or something.

However it works in auto-focus. This presumably is because the focus feedback mechanism in the camera software doesn't use this same API - the sensor that senses the how well the camera is currently focused feeds back directly into the camera's focusing driver, rather than using the API that's exposed for external apps.

This is conjecture on my part, but would explain why the camera can focus on infinity when doing auto-focus, but not when an app tells it to focus on infinity.

Is there a mechanism with which I can submit a trouble ticket directly to Samsung?   The more I think about this, the more it seems like a Samsung phone software (camera  controller API) bug.

Thanks.