Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userNprOT1kh9m
Asteroid

S9 plus random notification sounds for no reason

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I keep getting notification sounds randomly but nothing is showing up in the notification bar, its driving me crazy!! I've searched the internet & tried everything that was mentioned as a possible fix, turned off notification reminder, turned off NFC, I've even turned off notifications to all my apps but it still continues to randomly notify me for no reason, sometimes 3 to 4 times back to back. Has anybody else had this issue?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userASHmLHTzYK
Constellation

Re: S9 plus random notification sounds for no reason

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Notification Reminder

Turn off reminders

60 REPLIES 60
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, 

If you don't find a solution and are completely fed up with it there's always the worst case scenario located in notifications/advanced/show system apps at the top right corner the 3 vertical dots   reset preferences. Something has been changed to high priority in a category list. You could change some of the apps you suspect to urgent priority and see if a visual pop-up matches the notification sound. Or boot into safe mode for a while and see if it stops. I would wait and see if someone else has the same issue or a community moderator offers to help. 

userNprOT1kh9m
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I get the sounds like I have a notification but there is nothing in the notification bar. I'll try to reset my preferences & see if that works

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes I understand. I have Wi-Fi calling on my phone. It it writes 3 or four notifications every hour. I set the notifications priority to high. Every time I turn the screen off and locked it would make the notification sound I set for it. When I press the power button it makes the sound, when I swipe left to unlock it makes the sound and when I land on the homepage it makes the sound again. It also sends the sound when I do some of the usual things people normally do on phones.

At night it sends the notification every hour all night. It will drive you crazy if you don't know that's the one doing it. I set it back to medium  priority no sound when I finished watching its behavior.

It doesn't add a visual notification to the notifications pull down screen. Tmo has set it as persistent so just the one notice all the time in pull down screen. Oh and when I restart the phone it writes 9 entries in the notification log file.

I hope the preferences reset cleared that and wasn't to bad putting the settings back the way you want them. 

userNprOT1kh9m
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well resetting preferences didn't work either! I went to notifications & turned off everything I didn't want notifications from & I'm still getting the notification sound with nothing in the notification bar. This is really getting annoying!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you have non Samsung apps installed for mail, chat, messaging, etc, you can receive what might appear as a "phantom" notification sound or LED without any brief on screen or lock screen display.  These can be suppressed in the notifications shade as well.  This has been a topic of discussion with several threads from people (me included) who are not happy with the lack of for example visual notifications when an event or incoming notification occurs.  I suspect you are using one or more 3rd party apps (most of us are) or dont have something configured correctly.  Thus far the stock apps baked into the OS are the only ones which seem to work 100% reliably.  

~ Former N6p, Pixel1 owner who tried an s9+ ~ With Android, The software experience is everything. Good specs doesn't mean great device. In the end, it's the software experience that makes or breaks hardware. I've dumped the S9(minus) and gone back to a device that receives actual support, regular updates and bug fixes. DONE WITH SAMSUNG - SOLD THE S9(minus) - YOU GUYS ARE LIARS!
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

Finding the third party app, system app or service that's sending this notification by the process of elimination could take a while. Too many to deal with. I can only tell you that I use Nova Launcher Prime as my default. This application adds a widget that can be used to open the notification log file. So each time an app or service sends a notification it writes the details to this system log. Doesn't matter if it makes a sound, shows a pop-up or nothing at all it shows in the log. This is how I discovered Wi-Fi calling was constantly sending notifications without a sound.

In short it's a good way to see who is sending that annoying notification to you. On the plus side you don't even have to set Nova as the default launcher. You can use the activities widget with the default Samsung home launcher. 

I looked in the play store and found many apps that are designed to show us the notification log file. I have never used them but it might be an option to look at if all else fails.

userDQoLdobhyK
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone is driving me nuts It's keep macking a noys every fuel seconds. 

userSTZownoOBg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I went to settings notifications and turned off all the ones I didn't want notifications from and has worked for me. Hope this helps

userASHmLHTzYK
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Notification Reminder

Turn off reminders