cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

S9 repeatedly shuts down, won't turn on for more than 20 seconds

It just started today with no prompting, I didn't drop it, spill water on it, download anything new. It turns on for anywhere from 2 to 25 seconds at most and then turns off. 

I have tried 

• Safemode - still turns off immedietely 
  • charging it to 100%
  • leaving it alone for awhile
  • soft restarting it
  • Turning off fingerprint security

None of these have worked.
Nothing to update it either, fully up to date.

actually before I posted this it actually stayed on for nearly an hour, though I had done nothing different that time. I managed to install bitdefender and it said my device was clean, I uninstalled any apps I didn't trust, tried to use the device care. It just shut down again so I'm actually posting now. It seems to be staying on longer this time, but this is still very concerning. I work late nights sometimes and I do not feel safe with my phone shutting down randomly. I have no idea if it will start being completely unusable again at a bad time.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: S9 repeatedly shuts down, won't turn on for more than 20 seconds

Did your phone update to android 10 recently?

Highlighted
Constellation

It did force an update a few days ago I think, though I believe it was already android 10 if thats possible. I think I updated it when android 10 came out, though I hadn't had an android for long at the time and I can't remember. It is now for sure according to the software information.

Highlighted
Constellation

Try checking for an update if there is no update the try contacting Samsung hopefully they allow you to send it back in to be checked/repaired

Highlighted
Astronaut

My s9 started doing the same since yesterday. I've tried everything and still keep restarting and turning off. I havent installed any new apps or anything.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Mine has also been shutting off on it's own. It's getting a bit aggravating. I've done everything I can to try to make it stop with no luck

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you tried these troubleshooting steps here? http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001475/

Highlighted
Asteroid

Had problems, with my galaxy s9+ acting up after the androud 10 update. I backed up everything, then did a factory reset, and everything is fine now. Don't know if it was some incompatiblity with something from the pie OS, but factory rest fixed everything for me. It's a pain in the butt, but sometimes it has to be done to get rid of any garbage from a previous OS update.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Battery Problem 

Highlighted
Astronaut

I've tried everything, even the factory reset. Who had any luck resolving this issue?