Original topic:

S9 trade in, important question

(Topic created on: 1/16/21 11:05 PM)
Finnman
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S9
I'm looking to trade in my Galaxy S9 for the upcoming S21.  According to the trade in requirements the front screen and camera need to be unbroken and functioning.  My phone fits all of those prerequisites, however the S9 has the (really stupid design choice) glass backing and despite having a case on it since day one the glass back is cracked.

Does this affect my trade in value?
Will I need to mark it as a phone with a cracked screen removing $150 off the trade in?
Has this happened to anyone else with a similarly cracked back who tried trading their phone in to be turned away?
0 Likes
4 Replies
Options
Galaxy S9
it will definitely degrade the price with the broken glass but I'm not sure if you should mark it back they will value the phone once they receive it BUT ONCE ITS OFF FOR SHIPMENT ITS GONE keep that in mind you might wanna call just to be safe
0 Likes
saxappeal
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S9
Thats a great question. I used to work at Best Buy and have processed many trade-ins on phones. Samsung seems to be less strict on trade ins than we were but it seems to be a grey area here for sure with this. I went to shop samsung.com and it doesn't specify that the back or overall condition of the phone had to be in excellent shape but just if the screen was cracked. I did also like at the FAQ details under the trade in requirements and it does say this:

Your device must have no breaks, cracks, or other defects that go beyond normal wear and tear, including but not limited to:
•    Multiple scratches, dents, or dings; 
•    Water damage; or; 
•    Corroded charging port, SIM, or battery terminal contacts. 

I would say reach out to sales support to see if its acceptable for the full trade in value for your device based on your phones condition. In the mean time I can ask a friend I think can help answer your question.
Finnman
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S9
I reached out to one of Samsungs live messaging support, explained my situation and the pre-purchase support person flat out said the phone is not eligible for trade in. He said the only way it would be eligible is if the crack were in the front or if I got the back repaired at Samsung

Is there an actual sales support email/phone number/person I can reach out to?
0 Likes
SamsungMoon
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S9

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out. For questions regarding the trade-in program, I would recommend reaching out to our E-Commerce team by calling 1-855-726-8721.