Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: S9+ turns off when usinf fingerprint security

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Has there been any solution to this?

I updated to Android version 9 recently and my phone started shutting off or not even starting. I started on safe mode, cleared cache and even wiped the whole phone TWICE. I noticed the phone and apps work perfectly, but anytime I try to set up fingerprint the phone just shuts offs. Pin and pattern work just fine, I have not tried iris or face yet. Any solutions or recommendations ? 

Samsung galaxy s9+ model smg965u. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing here. I have a Samsing Duos recently updated OTA to Pie. After factory reseting several times and a lot of work around it it looks like whenever I use the fingerprints to set those as unlock it keeps turning off randomly, usually less tan 5 mins of idle. I am now using it without finigerptrint unlock althogh fingerprints work for login with several apps. Very annoying and thinking of moving forward to another brand.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hey Samsung, we need a solution!!! Running around with an unlocked screen is simply not an option! When is it going to be solved??? I'm telling all my colleagues in my 1200 employee company to buy iphones if they want a reliable tool. Shame.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just got off the phone with a samsung tech. He confirmed that it was a known issue with the 9 series and they are working on an OTA update to fix this and many problems. He even mentioned that his personal phone has the same problem. Not sure why this is marked as solved... but hopefully in the next week or so it will actually be fixed.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is this a software issue? Cause I'm using a samsung galaxy note 9 and same thing, if i will use the fingerprint the phone shuts off when it goes to idle mode,. after i disabled fingerprint function it works normal,.. just bought this phone 1 month now,.. HOW I WISH I COULD RETURN IT BACK WITH A FULL REFUND!!!! THIS IS ANNOYING!!!! i feel like i got scam buying a latest phone but using a fake phone like those chinese imitation phone, the brand is there the phone feature was there but you cant use it!!!! something like that you guys know what i mean

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Got an OTA update today and after enabling my fingerprint unlock, it rebooted within 5 minutes... so this is still not fixed. I am really starting to get upset with Samsung. $1000 for a phone that doesn't have all of the intended functions is really annoying. I called again just a few minutes ago and they want me to send my phone in for repair. Judging by the replies and other posts I found, this isn't a solution either. Come on Samsung! Get it together!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

had mine fixed by having fingerprint reader replaced (free under warranty) at local UBreakIFix (they know all about this issue) and I was sent there by samsung support when I reported the issue

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just got here from a Note 9 post with the same exact issue.

It seems very unlikely thats its water or moisture problem as this has started happening to us recently with updates, and its happening across multiple models.

Samsung needs to find the cause in software and patch ASAP.

I recommend raising awareness for this issue and posting everywhere possible until an update is pushed that fixes it.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
same problem in my s9. The repair doesnt solved.
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Fixed !!!

I just got my S9 back from repair at a local UBreakIFix (Authorized Samsung Care) and the issue is fixed!!  I got my S9 last week (I am not the original user) and immediately noticed the phone shutting off after going to sleep / screen timeout. Googled around and found this thread and others pointing me to fingerprint reader involvement. Reached out to Samsung support on chat, verified still under warranty. I verified for them that the issue goes away when fingerprint unlock is off. Told me I needed repair - could send it in or take to local authorized repair. Called up local UBreakIFix and they were well familiar with issue. Brought in phone, said repair wouldnt take long, simple test and likely replace of fingerprint reader, but I had to leave it over night since it was end of their day. texted me next day all fixed.  Discussed repair with them and asked is this a case of fingerprint reader going bad or more of a bad batch in general. he said he thinks it was more of the latter (bad batch) - all he knows is they test the fingerprint reader and if it comes up with certain range of codes (assume code equates to certain batch or dates) they need to replace the reader. And poof all fixed.  He said they first started to see the issue last August but someone in their chain eventually figured out the fingerprint reader was at involved and eventually bubbled up the info to Samsung.  He said they have seen the issue on S9 & S9+ not the Note 9 but maybe he was unaware of those.

The rep I originally chatted with at Samsung didnt say they knew of this issue - to the contrary made it seem like they didnt - but once I could reproduce cleanly the issue he sent me off to my local UBreakIFix franchisee for my under warranty repair.   I dunno if this can/will be fixed via software update - perhaps it could - but in meantime I can say the work done for me has resolved the issue.