cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

S9+ turns off when usinf fingerprint security

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone turns off randomly when using fingerprint as a biometric unlock.

I have sent it to a warranty repair center but I received it back with the problem still presisting.

I have done a factory reset and have used the phone on safe mode but it still reboots or turns off while the phone is idle.

I have no SD card in.

The fingerprint sensor is working for all the apps and Samsung Pay but after it goes idle it resets or turns off.

This happens constantly.  When it is idle.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S9+ turns off when usinf fingerprint security

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If all troubleshooting steps have failed, you may need service repairs. I understand you have submitted your phone for repair once before. I would be glad to look into that service and set up another service for you. If you wish to move forward with service repair please send a private message to http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2.  Also, please provide the following information. Thank you. 

First/Last Name 

Phone Number

Email Address

Physical Address

Place Of Purchase

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

137 REPLIES 137
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am seeing the same thing

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usertWmhVY9NpR: Can I get the full model number of your device? 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the Verizon 64 GB variant.

SM-G965U 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for the information. Does this occur with PIN locks and pattern locks as well? Also, try restarting the phone. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No my 0hone works perfectly when using pattern,pin and password only, it only restarts when using fingerprint

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No my phone works perfectly when using pattern,pin and password only, it only restarts when using fingerprint

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone started doing the same thing today. After a backup and factory reset, then restore, the problem persisted.

Then I did a hard reset without the restore.

Eureka! Problem solved!

As i sit here and redownload all my apps and customize my settings and security, i go to register fingerprints. In order to do this I must set a pin.  The second I do this the phone shuts down! As soon as i take the security off the phone works fine.

There must be a bug in the security system. This is a problem as I use my fingerprint to access sensitive apps.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hmm this is a new problem can you really not enable just a pin and nothing else? 

Normally this problem is related to the unlock with fingerprint. 

If you simply add fingerprints and do not turn on fingerprint unlock your phone shouldn't freeze up and you can contucon using fingerprint on your apps including tap to pay 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usermepY5Pxm6D wrote:

If you simply add fingerprints and do not turn on fingerprint unlock your phone shouldn't freeze up and you can contucon using fingerprint on your apps including tap to pay 

I just started having this problem, and narrowed it down to this solution. 

Also, if fingerprints are enabled for unlock the phone is usually fine if it's in use. Once it goes idle it takes about a minute and then reboots.