cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

SD Card Keeps Corrupting S9+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello all. I searched for this topic but only found posts about it for other phones. I keep getting notifications every now and then that my sd card is corrupted. It will be fine for a while, then all of a sudden, corrupted. I've formatted it and reformatted it, mounted and unmounted it and removed it and replaced it inside the phone. The only thing I haven't done is but a new card. The card is 128Gb and every time it does get corrupted, all my pictures from the sd storage in my camera are gone along with any files on the SD. I had a issue a few weeks ago with greyed out app icons that I posted about, which is now solved, but with all these SD issues,  I'm leery to ever move anything to sd card again. And that is not right with such a great and powerful phone. Does anyone know how to fix this , and do you get these sd issues and notifications too? Thanks for your help. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Black Hole

Re: SD Card Keeps Corrupting S9+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For support on your SD card, please reach out to our dedicated memory support team. This team’s operation hours are Mon through Fri 9AM - 12AM, and Sat 9AM - 9PM. They can be contacted by phone at 800-726-7864, by email at samsungmemorysupport@sea.samsung.com, or via Live Chat on samsung.com. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@MemeJae Just to confirm, is the SD card you are using a class 10 or higher SD card? 

MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungJecca wrote:

@MemeJaeJust to confirm, is the SD card you are using a class 10 or higher SD card? 

Sorry for the delay. It is a unbranded class 10, 128 GB micro sd card. I also used this card on my previous phone which was a Note 5. I purchased it specifically for that phone and never issues with it. Thanks  

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@MemeJae Have you tested another SD card to see if it corrupts as well? Also, you said it will work for a while before saying the card is corrupted, about how long does it usually take before that occurs? 

MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungJecca wrote:

@MemeJaeHave you tested another SD card to see if it corrupts as well? Also, you said it will work for a while before saying the card is corrupted, about how long does it usually take before that occurs? 

No, I have not done that yet. I do have some smaller gb memory cards I can put in to try. I've actually ran up on a few forums with this question too but no solutions. In fact yesterday, I was using Google Play Music and I was going to download it and store to external memory and the app said I couldn't because there was no external storage. So I went to the storage settings and it said the current sd card is corrupted. So again its happened. So I guess I might just need a new one,but I really think its Samsung's issue,  not the card. But I'll try a different card and see how it works for a few hours or longer and I will get back to you to let you know. I'll try not to take  too long. Thanks for trying to help!

MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Spoiler
Hey, I found a link to other people discussing this same issue. I guess I should've posted there, but couldn't find that topic when I searched the community this week. It's a issue facing lots of us using S9 and S9 plus apparently.  Here's the link:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/SD-CARD-ERROR-ON-S9/td-p/448986
MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, SJ. 😉 I have taken my sd card out and put it in my laptop to see if there were any issues and there weren't. But I did go ahead and reformat it in my laptop. Then I put it back in, this was on Friday afternoon and I've had no problems,  so far. Saturday, I moved a app to the SD storage and so far so good. I really meant to put a different sd card in my phone to see how that worked out,  but completely forgot to do so, so I still have my same 128 Gb card in, newly formatted though. I hope it will not corrupt again, but we'll see. Just wanted to update you 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please keep us posted.

MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So that didn't work out after all. Today at 10:56am, I was watching a downloaded movie from Netflix and my phone just went off and restarted suddenly. Then when it restarted, it said, "Unsupported SD Card, this device doesn't support this sd card. Tap to set up in a supported format." I went to look for the 1 app I moved to sd and of course couldn't find it, I'm glad it was a unimportant app, but I can just download it again if needed. So next I clicked on the notification about the sd card which sent me to a message saying, Format as portable storage, the sd card will be formatted to make it more secure,  and information about how formatting will erase all data from the card, of course. So I did try to format it in the phone again, but then recieved this trouble message, "command '8 volume partition
disk:179,0 public ' failed with
'400 8 Command failed '' So it wouldn't allow me to even format the SD card. Does anyone even know what that message means? Any help or info is greatly appreciated, seriously!! I'll try again a bit later but I will try another 1 of my SD cards, but they are incredibly small, at 1Gb,  and 2Gb. Which really isn't great,  but in the meantime,  I will start searching for a new 128gb sd card apparently. This card is a good card and I just don't understand why all the issues are popping up . Thanks for the help. 

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For support on your SD card, please reach out to our dedicated memory support team. This team’s operation hours are Mon through Fri 9AM - 12AM, and Sat 9AM - 9PM. They can be contacted by phone at 800-726-7864, by email at samsungmemorysupport@sea.samsung.com, or via Live Chat on samsung.com. Thanks!