cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userXDEcJlLWx1
Asteroid

Screen dims when making calls

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have  Galaxy s9 for at&t. For some reason auto brightness works everywhere but when making a phone call. When I answer a call or make a call the screen dims and it becomes dark. Hard to see especially outside.  Any one know how to fix this? 

I called Samsung and they tell me the oreo update may have caused it.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userXDEcJlLWx1
Asteroid

Re: Screen dims when making calls

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I found the issue. If you change the screen lock timer to the instant your phone goes dark, your phone will stop dimming when making phone calls. I just happen to come across it today when I was messing with my phone.

If you have it set to 15-30-60 seconds, then for some reason your phone will dim when calling someone.

So change to instant or for a way longer time. Let me know if it works for you.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userXDEcJlLWx1

That does indeed sound like a change possibly from the new OS. Let's see if anyone else in the Community has an idea just in case though.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

YelloDaGeek
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Its suppose to function in this manner I believe it's a sensor so when you answer the phone your cheek doesn't press any buttons , I believe it can be turned off in your settings. 

userXDEcJlLWx1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know what you were talking about it but that's not the issue I'm having. When I have the phone in my hand even facing the Sun it does not brighten up.

user6GbLDh7WnT
Astronaut

I Re: Screen dims when making calls

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue. My son's brand new S9 phone isn't bright enough anywhere even on the highest setting, unlike my S7.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: I Re: Screen dims when making calls

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there @user6GbLDh7WnT, have you tried the above-mentioned troubleshooting methods?

user5YvBxc7klX
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have the same problem 

userdkXKCWck3I
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem. I cannot make a phone call that requires me to use the touch screen to enter numbers  For push button directory. Unless I'm inside.

userXDEcJlLWx1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I found the issue. If you change the screen lock timer to the instant your phone goes dark, your phone will stop dimming when making phone calls. I just happen to come across it today when I was messing with my phone.

If you have it set to 15-30-60 seconds, then for some reason your phone will dim when calling someone.

So change to instant or for a way longer time. Let me know if it works for you.

View solution in original post

userwup73A2Jhu
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This problem has been solved I figured it out this will permanently end the screen going dark while making a phone call

Accessibility/ vision/ voice assistant/ settings top right corner/ quick menu/ dark screen fourth toggle down

Click this setting off and no more issues with screen dimming while making a phone call worked on my Samsung Galaxy S7 with the 8.0 update