cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CatsAreGods
Cosmic Ray

Secure Startup turns itself off!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, I have a Samsung S9 Plus and a few times after restart, I suddenly noticed I wasn't being prompted for my PIN for decryption on startup (not to be confused with the PIN prompt to unlock phone). I went to check the Secure Startup settings, and they had been mytersiously switched off. Each time, it was after some Samsung apps had automatically updated, so I'm wondering if there's anything in Samsung apps that would do this, or alternatively is there any way an app found in the Play Store (I have quite a few) could do this with the system not stopping them?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Secure Startup turns itself off!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@CatsAreGods Everytime you enable accessbility permission, secure startup will be turned off automatically. Some apps require accessibility permissions, so that could definitely do it.

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@CatsAreGods Everytime you enable accessbility permission, secure startup will be turned off automatically. Some apps require accessibility permissions, so that could definitely do it.

CatsAreGods
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow...! I had no idea that just changing accessibility settings completely compromises your security! Thank you!

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@CatsAreGods you have to enter your pin or other creditals before enabling/disabling  it just like turning on Secure Startup. Did you notice that with any apps recently?

Univer
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@VerbumVeritum Where could I view that on Android 8?

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had the exact same thing happen to me today. Did a restart, but there was never a screen showing the lock icon and decrypting on startup message. After troubleshooting I finally checked secure startup and it was disabled, which I didn't do. It's puzzling that granting something accessibility permissions would disable a security feature. At minimum a warning should have been given. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userNmb1JTZp4C you have to enter your pin, etc to turn on accessibility permissions