cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security updates in the US for factory unlocked galaxy s9

Hey Samsung, why don't you make security patches for factory unlocked devices in the US available through Smart Switch. Our factory unlocked devices, ie purchased directly from Samsung and not carrier branded, aren't tied in any way to carrier software, and have no logical reason to have to wait for carrier testing and compatability. There's gotta be a way to adapt Smart Switch for this purpose. You're leaving your US customers blowing in the wind for absolutely no good reason. Making people angry by leaving them with compromised devices is not a good business strategy. 

23 REPLIES 23
user4NSZPqF9t9
Asteroid

Re: Security updates in the US for factory unlocked galaxy s9

Agreed. I am beyond frustrated that security updates and bug fixes agenta being addressed. I really am begging to regret my purchase .

Samsung Care Ambassador

@SamsungViv @SamsungMarcos Here we go again! Still no May security patch on June 5th! Even carrier branded S8's are getting a May patch! Why are we always last to receive updates?

Any response from forum admins would be appreciated.

From an Unlocked Note 9 (SM-N960U1) on AT&T
sd_N
Asteroid

Yep. Still on the Feb security patch. Crazy.  However, I did receive my S9 256GB version today  I'm happy with the phone. Would still like quicker updates  

Supernova

When an update is first released, it has to to be tested by each carrier before it released to the customers. 

Neosiris
Cosmic Ray

I'm pretty sure you've had more than enough time to at least release an update of some sort. It's June, and we're still on February's version. You do realize that version is from even before the phone was released, right? 

userCUNTEmjhub
Asteroid

Please, SamsungMichelle, explain to me why neither Google nor Apple has this problem with the carriers.

Kevin McMurtrie
Cosmic Ray

Why is unlocked the farthest behind?

@SamsungMichelle

What's all this talk about testing the carriers have to do first? Factory unlocked phones are not reliant on any carrier software. We bought the phone from Samsung so we wouldn't be tied in any way to carrier bloatware. But thats the only excuse you guys can muster as to why factory unlocked phones aren't being updated. It makes absolutely zero sense. Come on! The factory unlocked European S9 varients have been getting monthly security updates and more. There's no talk over there about carrier testing etc. We, who shelled out the full price straight to Samsung upfront, are being treated like second class citizens. How is that right? Please give me a logical explanation.

@SamsungMichelle

Here's the 2017 Zdnet article by Jason Cipriani that totally refutes you and your fellow moderators excuses. 

"Last week, I opined that Samsung's approach to unlocked devices was completely wrong. The lack of timely updates is typically a selling point of unlocked, carrier-free smartphones. And yet, the S7 and S7 Edge were last updated in December, while every major US carrier has released Android 7.0 Nougat for their respective S7 models.

It's often felt as if Samsung had all but forgotten about its unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge users.

A few days after my article was published, a reader sent me a screenshot of his conversation with the Samsung Mobile Security team that claimed the company was moving to monthly updates.

I sent an inquiry of my own, and received an identical response:

"Due to various circumstances, we have been releasing security updates for unlocked (open) Galaxy devices in the U.S. on a quarterly basis. However, we have now resolved the challenges; and we are committed to releasing security updates for those devices on a monthly basis."

Furthermore, the email states the company will release the March security update "soon." It's unclear if that update will include Nougat, but there's no reason to believe otherwise.

With the announcement of the Samsung Galaxy S8 nearing, and an unlocked variant of the upcoming smartphone having just passed FCC certification, the company's commitment to monthly security updates for its unlocked devices is a pleasant surprise.

I reached out to Samsung PR to see if they can provide any more details about the new approach, and what the challenges were. I will update this post if I receive a response."