JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Setting keeps stopping error message

(Topic created: 04-10-2019 08:03 PM)
Climorris
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Started having this error message just after the last update... seems to happen when phone is turned in landscape position. Ran phone I safe mode and still having same issues.

Anyone else with this issue.... help please Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, 

Does the night mode icon you have in the active quick settings toggle night mode on and off? It should light up blue? 

The duplicate doesn't do anything when we tap it or long press it  

Dveloper options. 

Open settings / about phone / software information and tap baseband version 7 or 8 times until you see the message developer options is available.

Back out to the system settings main page and scroll down to the bottom and Tap developer options  Once open scroll down to Quick Settings Developer Tiles and tap on it. You should see 2 night mode entries at the top of the list. Turn off the first entry and make sure the second entry is turned on. This is the method I used to remove the duplicate icon from the quick settings panel 

If you have no more use for developer options scroll up to the top and turn it off  

View solution in context

12 Replies
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey 

The March update accidentally added a new night mode switch to the quick access panel  If you pulled the quick settings panel down and used the button order settings to drag the new night mode icon down to the active panel it will crash settings  

Try moving the new icon back to the neutral zone to see if that stops the settings crash  

If that doesn't work you have to open developer options and scroll down to quick settings developer tiles and turn off the first entry titled night mode.

CLF 

Climorris
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks for the response!

I just did what you suggested and I'll monitor it throughout the day!

Will let you know if that works... thanks!

Climorris
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

No luck... also performed a hard reset. Blue light filter seems to be buggy also.

0 Likes
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, 

Does the night mode icon you have in the active quick settings toggle night mode on and off? It should light up blue? 

The duplicate doesn't do anything when we tap it or long press it  

Dveloper options. 

Open settings / about phone / software information and tap baseband version 7 or 8 times until you see the message developer options is available.

Back out to the system settings main page and scroll down to the bottom and Tap developer options  Once open scroll down to Quick Settings Developer Tiles and tap on it. You should see 2 night mode entries at the top of the list. Turn off the first entry and make sure the second entry is turned on. This is the method I used to remove the duplicate icon from the quick settings panel 

If you have no more use for developer options scroll up to the top and turn it off  

userwRWMKfIE7s
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

How did you figure this out?

CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@userwRWMKfIE7s

@gotzaDroid Posted about this issue five minutes after he installed the March update. I installed the March update pulled down the quick settings panel and saw the bright orange marker indicating something new has been added. Like everyone else I tapped on button order and thought great a new night mode feature and dragged it into the active panel. Settings stopped and every time I pulled the quick settings panel down the same error. I opened developer options and removed the first night mode entry and that took care of it. He did the same and verified that it stopped the error. 

Later out of curiosity I opened developer options and put the duplicate back and dropped it back into the active panel and the settings stopped so I moved it back up to the top and setting stopped again but only one last time. After that I open the notification panel and the quick settings panel a dozen times and everything was fine. I opened developer options and removed it from the quick settings panel completely. 

The end. 

Thanks for asking and I hope one of these two methods worked for you as well.

Take care, 

CLF 

userwRWMKfIE7s
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@CLF   really interesting.  my settings was crashing just out of the blue, i didnt go to the quick access menu or anything.  I would be in a random app or whatever and it would crash.  not sure why that would have been happening. 

The only other issue I am having is that occasinally a pop up occures, and it says Wi-Fi Calling

Wi-Fi Calling preferences updated to optimize network experience.  

when i click on it , it has swiched itself from wi-fi preferred to cellular preferred.

That is really annoying.Screenshot_20190416-132152_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

0 Likes
userwRWMKfIE7s
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I should have mentioned, that yes your turning off the night mode in developer mode did fix my settings from crashing, so thanks a bunch for that

0 Likes
userhH5ZLTdrSj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks alot. It worked