cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hybucket
Asteroid

Smart Switch

I currently have an S5, with SOME of my music, photos and even some apps on an SD card (a necessity with only 16 G on the phone), Anyone help with the best way to transfer all this to the new G9+ via Samsung Smart switch without screwing it up or, even worse, losing some of it in the process? Does it transfrer from a SD card in the old phone? If so, does a new SD card need to be inserted into the new phone, or does in transfer to the device?

7 REPLIES 7
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Smart Switch

I would move the SD card from the S5 to the S9+. Then use Smart switch to move everything else. 

hybucket
Asteroid

Thanks. Never thought of that.

Samsung Care Ambassador

That is the process I use when moving to a new phone. 

hybucket
Asteroid

Just got the new phone. Quick question - Do i need to activate the phone BEFORE I do the moving from old to new?  Anythng I should NOT transfer (something that might be a common problem for those that have used SS)?

Samsung Care Ambassador

As soon as you power on the new phone it will ask you about moving things over. You can do the activation after or skip the Smart switch until later and do the activation before. Shouldn't really matter.

You are going from an S5 to an S9+. That's about a 4 year difference. I'm going to guess that a few things won't be transferred due to compatilibity. 

hybucket
Asteroid

Thanks...it's been a long time since I've done this, so I guess things have improved since then. It will be a learning experience.

hybucket
Asteroid

I'm learning already.

JUst unboxed the phone and it contains a flyer telling me that, to use the Smart Switch, apparently, I don't need to download the SS app on either phone. It says to connect the two phones with a "wire" from the old device and connect to the USB conector, then go into settings on the new phone and under accounts and backups, there is a "Smart Switch." Who knew?