cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cosmic Ray

Software update causes ring

Ever since the March 15th software update, my phone plays the T-Mobile jingle when I turn it on, even though I always have the phone on vibrate. This is new. Used to start nice and quietly. Help.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Software update causes ring

Hey, 

@Pantxika

I always use mute. It's working fine on my device. I'll switch to vibrate mode next time I restart and let you know if it plays the jingle.

CLF

T-mobile

Galaxy S9 SM-G960U 

G960USQU7DTA8

Security Patch Level

February 1st 2020 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I switched my phone to mute, turned it off and then back on, and it pkays the T-Mobile jingle as soon as the T-Mobile logo appears, then I get to my pattern encryption screen, do my pattern, and the phone unlocks quietly but I can't prevent the first ring! It was not like that before the software update. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Hey, 

I just tested using vibrate. Boot animation is silent. After I set it to vibrate I checked in sounds and vibration, volume, to make sure all the entries are shown as off. Media volume is excluded.

You might try clearing the system cache partition sometimes that will clear issue after a major system update. 

Booting in safe mode will rule out third party apps that aren't 100% compatible with Android 10. 0.

I would wipe the system cache partition first. 

CLF 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I had already wiped the system partition cache before I reached out to the community. No luck. Do you use the encrypted lock screen or does your phone start up directly?

The software update caused 3 things: the unwanted ring, the disappearance of seeing attachement downloads at the top of my screen and popping open in a new window AND the appearance of these Media and Devices widgets on my pull-down menu.

Why?

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I mean it rings during the Secure Startup, not after it unlocks.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Hey, 

I didn't realize you were using secure startup.  I'll activate it, mute the speakers and restart. I'll let you know if effects the sound settings.

The media and devices options I turned them off so they no longer display in the quick settings panel.

CLF 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Hey, 

I set up secure startup, turned on mute, powered off, on and it doesn't play the jingle. It shows the pink T-mobile image but only for a few seconds and then the pin input keypad.

CLF 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

For me it plays the Jingle as soon as the T-Mobile logo appears in the Secure start up.

And even when I turned it off and do regular start up, it rings despite me having it on silent or vibrant.

I did the wipe. No improvement. Now what?

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Hey, 

@Pantxika

The only other options that might work are reset the system settings to their default is almost as time consuming for me as a factory data reset.

I factory data reset a week ago. I always prefer a fresh clean install after a major system update. Everything is running perfectly. 

Depending on how often you restart it might really be worth waiting for the monthly update.

CLF