cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useraJlcM8F12z
Asteroid

Switched from iPhone to S9

I've been an iPhone user since the first one came out. My employer mandated Android only so now I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S9. At first I was like "Okay, it's just as good but different." But now I'm like "What took one step on iPhone takes four on Android." Yes, I'm an iPhone fanboy but I am honestly trying to take to Android...

So help me like, no, LOVE, Android, one issue at a time. Keep in mind I'm on a Galaxy S9 so whatever version of Android it uses is what I'm on. (I don't get how updates work either...)

1. How do I get notifications to show on the lock screen? I've researched this thoroughly and there are a hundred different answers and none of them work. I want to be able to touch the screen on my S9 and see the text(s) that I missed.
  2. I would like to add a couple basic apps like Calculator to the window that comes down when you swipe from the top. Can you do that? yes, I know there is that side-swipe thing once you open the device, I want a one-step open. All I see is an icon that indicates text was received.
  3. Text notifications are a pain. I created custom notifications like I had on iPhone but I have to assign them one person at a time, they won't take globally. Is there a better way?

Seriously, I took this mandate as an opportunity to try something new and I'm really trying to love Android, and there are certainly some things that are way better on Android than iOS, but these seemingly simple things are deal-breakers for me! Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Honored Contributor

Re: Switched from iPhone to S9

@useraJlcM8F12z wrote:

I've been an iPhone user since the first one came out. My employer mandated Android only so now I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S9. At first I was like "Okay, it's just as good but different." But now I'm like "What took one step on iPhone takes four on Android." Yes, I'm an iPhone fanboy but I am honestly trying to take to Android...

So help me like, no, LOVE, Android, one issue at a time. Keep in mind I'm on a Galaxy S9 so whatever version of Android it uses is what I'm on. (I don't get how updates work either...)

1. How do I get notifications to show on the lock screen? I've researched this thoroughly and there are a hundred different answers and none of them work. I want to be able to touch the screen on my S9 and see the text(s) that I missed.
  2. I would like to add a couple basic apps like Calculator to the window that comes down when you swipe from the top. Can you do that? yes, I know there is that side-swipe thing once you open the device, I want a one-step open. All I see is an icon that indicates text was received.
  3. Text notifications are a pain. I created custom notifications like I had on iPhone but I have to assign them one person at a time, they won't take globally. Is there a better way?

Seriously, I took this mandate as an opportunity to try something new and I'm really trying to love Android, and there are certainly some things that are way better on Android than iOS, but these seemingly simple things are deal-breakers for me! Thanks in advance.

1) There is AOD(always on display), which shows time, date, notification icons.  Double tap and screen will light up so you can see more.  Lock screen settings might have answers too

2) This areas is notification shade/panel.  This is usually pre-set by the OS or by a manufacturer.  I just use shortcut to activate it.  When your device is locked.  On the left and right corners you have a phone and camera.  The setting is called App shortcuts which are in lock screen settings. You can replace the camera  or both with something else.  

3) You just want one custom notification for all or different for each person?

useraJlcM8F12z
Asteroid

Thank you so much for your advice! Re: Item 3, on iPhone I create a general notification for all texts or calls in Settings-Sounds. Then I can personalize with different sounds within Contacts (different ring for family, etc). I haven't found an equivalent on Android.

Another issue (these pop up the more I use the S9): A call comes in and I'm in the middle of a meeting. On iPhone I can hit any of the physical buttons to silence, which is nice when you're quickly trying to quiet your phone so as not to disturb the meeting. Today my phone was in my pocket and I was frantically hitting everything I could until I got it out of my pocket and had to silence from the screen. That's crazy! Any assist there?

Samsung Care Ambassador

@useraJlcM8F12z IF you receive  phone call and it rings you can press the volume button either up or down and the ringtone will silent for that call only if you want to silent it you need to turn the volume all the way down and the ringtone will show silent.

I think you can do individual sound you just need to go every contact and hit settings. 

if you come from iphone I highly suggest you to go through settings one-by-one just to get familiar and know the options what it does. There's a lot of options and features on S9 than your iphone.

═════════════════════════════════════
If you post new question please specify your Phone model and Carrier.
If you like my comment please hit ♥
if I answer your question please hit the 'accept as solution' button
Honored Contributor

@RedDragon wrote:

@useraJlcM8F12z IF you receive  phone call and it rings you can press the volume button either up or down and the ringtone will silent for that call only if you want to silent it you need to turn the volume all the way down and the ringtone will show silent.

I think you can do individual sound you just need to go every contact and hit settings. 

if you come from iphone I highly suggest you to go through settings one-by-one just to get familiar and know the options what it does. There's a lot of options and features on S9 than your iphone.

@RedDragon  Do you remember accidental touch toggle in settings?  I will have to test it in the morning as it is after mid night.  If the accidental touch is on and phone rings in the pocket.  Then the post creator was tryint to silence the phone by hitting different buttons, would that settings prevent any touch or button presses while in the dark place?

Samsung Care Ambassador

@Charkatak are you saying where is accidental touch located? you can search it on setting top right.

═════════════════════════════════════
If you post new question please specify your Phone model and Carrier.
If you like my comment please hit ♥
if I answer your question please hit the 'accept as solution' button
Honored Contributor

@RedDragon wrote:

@Charkatak are you saying where is accidental touch located? you can search it on setting top right.

Oh, no.  I know where it is.  I am about the person on this thread that wrote about no being able to mute the call.  I am thinking if accidental touch prevention is enabled in the settings, could it also block buttons from functioning while phone is in the pocket?

useraJlcM8F12z
Asteroid

I have that option on. Should I shut it off? 

Honored Contributor

@useraJlcM8F12z wrote:

I have that option on. Should I shut it off? 

With that feature(accidental touch) on, put your phone in the pocket.  Then in a min or two call your phone and just try to press any physical button and see if phone stops ringing. If it doens't try to turn off the above feature and repeat the testing process.

Also take a look at this app(Sound Profile), which has automatic profiles which enable/disable at a specific time/place...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Orion.Soft

Highlighted
useraJlcM8F12z
Asteroid

Thank you for the response. I thought I was pressing every physical button but I will focus on the volume buttons next time. Usually I'm smart enough to silence my phone before a meeting but not always!